Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 April 2014, 12:57   #11
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
+1 for the McMurdo FastFind
I have the 220 and it fits very well into the small upper pocket of my drysuit .
Me too....better to ''Have it and not need it than to...ect ect
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 13:27   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
I had a GME 410G last year and the very nice peeps at Sartech replaced it for me FOH when I sent it in to them for a service
I have some opinions about PLB's and the feedback they should give you when activated, purely from a psychological point of view. Maybe it will be the next generation of PLB's before some manufacturer embraces the concept of letting the user know in a simple and constant visual way that their unit is operating as intended.
I am sure all the manufacturers listed in this thread produce capable units, get the best specification you can afford, fasten it extremely securely to yourself and above all make sure you register it with Falmouth.
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 13:39   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
A PLB cheap alternative

I was looking at one of these as an alternative as it has an SOS function and is waterproof so I assume it has the same functionality as a PLB?

SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger

Also the battery has a 30 day standby and can be put inside the engine hood and if engine vibrates or is moved the tracking will start and is therefore an anti-theft device as well
__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 13:43   #14
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Which PLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
I was looking at one of these as an alternative as it has an SOS function and is waterproof so I assume it has the same functionality as a PLB?

SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger

Also the battery has a 30 day standby and can be put inside the engine hood and if engine vibrates or is moved the tracking will start and is therefore an anti-theft device as well
Does that model require a subscription? I'm lazy and didn't check the link.

We have some of the SPOT units for lone working and the annual subs are ridiculously expensive. Iirc they are as much as the unit.
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 13:48   #15
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
I had a GME 410G last year and the very nice peeps at Sartech replaced it for me FOH when I sent it in to them for a service
I have some opinions about PLB's and the feedback they should give you when activated, purely from a psychological point of view. Maybe it will be the next generation of PLB's before some manufacturer embraces the concept of letting the user know in a simple and constant visual way that their unit is operating as intended.
I am sure all the manufacturers listed in this thread produce capable units, get the best specification you can afford, fasten it extremely securely to yourself and above all make sure you register it with Falmouth.
Andy, your article in Powerboat & Rib magazine was one of the most informative pieces I've read in any boating mag over the past 20 years.

The article left me with the impression that since the event you'd had an opportunity to feed back to a couple of the manufacturers, first-hand, your experiences and that the PLB manufacturer was actively considering a way of letting the (cold, wet, disoriented, frightened) user know that the PLB was working correctly and had transmitted/was continuing to transmit its position?

Are you receiving any positive feedback from the manufacturer about whether this feature is likely to be incorporated in the next generation of PLBs?
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 14:36   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Does that model require a subscription? I'm lazy and didn't check the link.

We have some of the SPOT units for lone working and the annual subs are ridiculously expensive. Iirc they are as much as the unit.
Alan, you are right the basic annual fee is 110 a year and this is why I haven't yet committed to buying one yet
__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 15:28   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,594
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Alan, you are right the basic annual fee is 110 a year and this is why I haven't yet committed to buying one yet
I'd be interested to see how the battery stands up. E.G. if it's been sending pings all day/weekend & not charged up, & then the brown stuff hits the fan, I'd want to know that there'd be enough juice to keep going until the cavalry arrives. At least with a PLB you know that the battery is reserved for when you really need it.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 15:52   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Does that model require a subscription? I'm lazy and didn't check the link.

We have some of the SPOT units for lone working and the annual subs are ridiculously expensive. Iirc they are as much as the unit.
DO NOT BUY THE SPOT and expect it to act like a PLB. see this link spot off | Sailing Anarchy
possibly some false advertising by all accounts
__________________
andyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 15:52   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Are you receiving any positive feedback from the manufacturer about whether this feature is likely to be incorporated in the next generation of PLBs?
I swopped a few emails with GME and they "were considering" my feedback for future models. The approval of PLB's for use on land, places still more emphasis on the issue of user "monitoring" of the unit.
Being stuck on a mountain, in a storm, with an injured collegue, your decision to stay or seek help may be dictated by your activated PLB feeding back information to you that its operating and broadcasting correctly.
Until the Sat system itself changes to allow reception as well as broadcast,
improvements should be made to units to visually show that they are successfully transmitting, that they have adequate battery life, transmission hours left etc. Positive re-inforcement is great in those situations, but equally if a unit isn't functioning properly, the sooner you find out the better.
Modifications to the design cost money, and bring up the unit cost in a competitive market place, but the first manufacturer that does so will get my money for sure.
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 16:14   #20
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'd be interested to see how the battery stands up. E.G. if it's been sending pings all day/weekend & not charged up, & then the brown stuff hits the fan, I'd want to know that there'd be enough juice to keep going until the cavalry arrives. At least with a PLB you know that the battery is reserved for when you really need it.
That's the thing I have against the SPOT range AND the price.

For a couple of hundreds squids you can get yourself a McMurdo that has a warranty backed battery life of 5 years. Basically peace of mind for 5 years and a couple hundred quid.

Over the same duration a SPOT will cost you in the region of 650 and requires the user to make sure the battery is tip top. Not a big issue I know but its an element that is open to being looked over.

McMurdo for me.
__________________

__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.