Old 15 November 2012, 13:23   #1

Town: Hurghada Egypt
Make: Atlantic 21
Length: 6m +
Which one!

I thought that I's ask the masses their opinion as I know jack.

I'm looking for navigation equiptment with possibly side scan built in or am I better getting separate units?

Which one or ones are reliable.

Also I don't know if this has an bearing on it but I'm in the Egyptian Red Sea.
Old 15 November 2012, 15:25   #2

Town: Isle of Wight
Make: Halmatic Arctic 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
I thought that I's ask the masses their opinion as I know jack.

I'm looking for navigation equiptment with possibly side scan built in or am I better getting separate units?

Which one or ones are reliable.

Also I don't know if this has an bearing on it but I'm in the Egyptian Red Sea.
If you want a mutifunction unit with sidescan, look at Lowrance HDS units, the sidescan (I think Lowrance call it structure scan) is an add on unit; or Humminbird units that have sidescan built in, I have a Humminbird 1197, the sidescan is an excellent tool, you can record the scans and replay on your PC, great fun!
Old 15 November 2012, 16:28   #3

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
to be honest, with some reliable brands you can have a all in one. ie Lawrance i have worked for many years, 100% waterproof never had any issues.
New HD screen are AWSOOOME ! price too
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 18:10   #4

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
to be honest, with some reliable brands you can have a all in one. ie Lawrance i have worked for many years, 100% waterproof never had any issues.
New HD screen are AWSOOOME ! price too
I have just been advised by the broker to get a Raymarine A57d as my combined GPS/fish sounder on a rig I am thinking of buying priced at £600 fitted to the rib console. I appreciate this is a dis-continued model and wonder if I would be better with a Garmin or Lowrance instead. This is a price sensitive deal so need to be around a similar figure to the £600 they have already quoted.

Views please.
Old 15 November 2012, 18:12   #5

RIBase
Sorry should have added the GPS is a GPS plotter and must be capable to taking chart cards as I need to buy one for the west coast of France.
Old 15 November 2012, 20:19   #6
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wightboy! View Post
If you want a mutifunction unit with sidescan, look at Lowrance HDS units, the sidescan (I think Lowrance call it structure scan) is an add on unit; or Humminbird units that have sidescan built in, I have a Humminbird 1197, the sidescan is an excellent tool, you can record the scans and replay on your PC, great fun!
New Lowrance HDS-7 Touch has "Stucture Scan" built in now. No external black box needed!
Old 15 November 2012, 20:59   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
New Lowrance HDS-7 Touch has "Stucture Scan" built in now. No external black box needed!
Try using a touchscreen with gloves on in UK weather. Might work in the Red Sea though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 21:28   #8
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Try using a touchscreen with gloves on in UK weather. Might work in the Red Sea though.
True....I live in San Diego! I'm going out to the islands here this weekend and we've been complaining it's going to be "cold"...high of 64°F and water temp of 59°F. Nothing a nice jacket and a 5mm wetsuit can't fix!
Old 16 November 2012, 08:53   #9

Town: Hurghada Egypt
Make: Atlantic 21
Thanks for all of the replies, Dumb question, do you need to get the right charts like a sat nav or do they have them all?
Old 16 November 2012, 09:00   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
Thanks for all of the replies, Dumb question, do you need to get the right charts like a sat nav or do they have them all?
Hi Simon,

A UK purchased unit will generally have all the UK area on it. However, if you want to go to France say or somewhere else in Europe you are likely to have to purchase an additional card for that area.
Old 16 November 2012, 09:28   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Also do a quick check to make sure your unit will read the charts you are about to buy.

Some will read 2 or 3 different types, others the choice is "take it or leave it". Others will give you the basic chart, but not necessarily all the whistles & bells.
Old 20 November 2012, 17:58   #12

RIBase
if i can remember, when i bought mine, no charts were included, and i know that XL charts for new Lawrance cost ...a LOT ! but they re really precise with a lot of informations, etc ....
you can have all the Europe on 1 chart.
Old 23 November 2012, 11:56   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: MALTA
Engine: Mercury 115 EFI 4S
Have a Raymarine A70D which is also discontinued but wasn't that impressed with the Fishfinder when compared to the Lowrance 527 I had and that wasn't even the HD model.

I got the A70D as also have a Ray S1000 pilot and liked the integration and the AIS functionlity too which I use, so it all depends on what your primary focus is. The A series require maps on a CF card but mine came with a MiniSD to CF adapter card, if anyone goes the Raymarine route would advise you buy your map on Mini SD card format as that will give you maximum flexibilty to use your map on difference brands of units. Eg. Lowrance use an SD card.

Am now waiting for the HDS5-Gen2 to arrive and this will be fitted on my RIB, though still haven't decided if I will be using the Transom mount 50/200 ducer like the Ray has or if I go for a thru-hull. Can then do a comparison.
Old 30 November 2012, 03:38   #14

RIBase
good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by npm108 View Post
Have a Raymarine A70D which is also discontinued but wasn't that impressed with the Fishfinder when compared to the Lowrance 527 I had and that wasn't even the HD model.

I got the A70D as also have a Ray S1000 pilot and liked the integration and the AIS functionlity too which I use, so it all depends on what your primary focus is. The A series require maps on a CF card but mine came with a MiniSD to CF adapter card, if anyone goes the Raymarine route would advise you buy your map on Mini SD card format as that will give you maximum flexibilty to use your map on difference brands of units. Eg. Lowrance use an SD card.

Am now waiting for the HDS5-Gen2 to arrive and this will be fitted on my RIB, though still haven't decided if I will be using the Transom mount 50/200 ducer like the Ray has or if I go for a thru-hull. Can then do a comparison.