Old 14 February 2005, 08:39   #1

Town: Nr Peterhead
Boat name: OTT
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 55
Which Handheld GPS?

Looking to buy a Handheld GPS.
Principle use will be for the RIB but it would be easier to justify expense if it could be used on shore.
Has anyone got any ideas/words of wisdom/cheap suppliers?

Ian
Old 14 February 2005, 08:57   #2

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Handheld GPS

Hi Ian,

when you say it would be more justifiable if you could use it ashore do you mean for hillwalking etc? If so please be asurred that all Garmin units will operate on any grid referencing system (lat/Long - British Grid/OS etc) so would indeed work ashore BUT GPS units do not show any cartographic or chart details -they simply give position, speed, distance, bearing/track, course etc.
If you wish to see actual cartographic details also you will need to be looking at a handheld plotter which will give either chart details or maps - subject to uploading from CD Rom but these are considerably more expensive!!
For example a GPS unit would be in the order of £100.00 - £200.00 whereas a plotter would be in the order of £400.00 - £600.00.

Hope this has not muddied the waters too much?
Old 14 February 2005, 10:01   #3

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
I believe the Garmin Etrex Legends are able to take the Bluechart data and now have a colour screen.

They are fully water proof and float, plenty of mounting brackets for them (car,boat,bike) and run on 2AA's or 12v.

Garmin site

On Ebay

I've got the older mono type and wouldn't be without it in the car or boat
Old 14 February 2005, 11:05   #4

Town: Nr Peterhead
Boat name: OTT
Make: Northcraft
Engine: Yam 55
Thanks for the info so far. I've been doing some research on the web (well it beats working) and have found Garmin GPSmap 76CS for £367.57 @ digiwoo.com. Company based in Denmark - has anyone dealt with them or indeed heard any horror stories?

Ian
Old 14 February 2005, 20:34   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I've got the GPSMap 76S and would definitely have gone for the colour version if it had been available when I bought my b+w. The 76 is very capable, but even better now that it is colour and also quicker on redraw i think. Bear in mind the cost of getting Bluecharts which are around £120.

Only reservation is that it is rather small to use on a rib if it is your main method of nav as the vibration and juddering of the boat can make a small screen hard to read properly.

Keith
Old 14 February 2005, 21:24   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Make sure you get a unit with big memory because that determines how much cartography it is able to hold. The Garmin GPSmapC is a good choice. Mine will hold the whole of britain road maps and my marine cartography for the east coast of Britain. It moves from one type to the other as the coast is approached.
Old 14 February 2005, 21:45   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I goota gArfmin etrek legend and a gArfmin 176c both have been reliable and accurate. I guess the 176 could be classed as a handheld if you have big paws
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2005, 19:48   #8

Town: Kenilworth
Boat name: Dashboo
Make: Marlin
Engine: Outboard Petrol 150
GeoNav

I have a Geonav 4c which uses Navionics land and sea charts, It cost me £400 from jgtech.com. It is an excellent handheld plotter, and in car Sat nav system, it doesn't seem to much use for walking, athough it does show your lat long details. You can see more info at www.geonav.it and navionics.com

I have to say I found the information on this kit difficult to come by and it took me a while to decide to buy it, but I have been very impressed.

Feel free to email me if you want any more info.
Old 06 March 2005, 13:11   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Personally not too keen on the etrex - if you want a good reliable basic gps then the trusted old Garmin gps12 is still hard to beat - use mine as stand alone or connected to my laptop for all sorts of mapping and chart work.
Old 06 March 2005, 15:58   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Alexander
...have found Garmin GPSmap 76CS for £367.57 @ digiwoo.com. Company based in Denmark - has anyone dealt with them or indeed heard any horror stories?

Ian
Hi Ian, personally I wouldn't buy gear from abroad just on the basis of cost. Garmin offer such superb service that it's probably worth buying in the UK for the goodwill that they offer. I have found Garmin very easy to deal with, all their staff are very knowledgeable and helpful (even their receptionists have full knowledge of their product range) and they are well known for having a relaxed attitude to warranty expiry dates.

Having said that, I think that their Romsey office is the European headquarters. It may be worth giving them a call on (01794) 519944 and asking if they would be happy to honour the waranty on a unit purchased from Denmark.

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2005, 17:43   #11

Town: Winchester
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Ribtec
Engine: optimax 200
handhelds

theres a review in this months PBO.
Old 11 March 2005, 17:01   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Alexander
Thanks for the info so far. I've been doing some research on the web (well it beats working) and have found Garmin GPSmap 76CS for £367.57 @ digiwoo.com. Company based in Denmark - has anyone dealt with them or indeed heard any horror stories?
Hello, Ian;

John in California here.

I have a pair of GPSMap76's (not the sensor laden version.)

They work quite well for what I use them for (coastal nearshore, find-the-dive-site kind of stuff.)

I did have a problem with one, which had some water intrusion that caused the display to die; flat rate repair for some amount from Garmin, problem recurred, so they sent me a new unit. Of course, I needed the GPS the weekend after the first dies, so I bought a second one (which is how I ended up with 2.)

Note that I drive a SIB, and the only semi-convenient mounting spot for VHS and GPS is a very wet location. "Normal" boaters would probably never have a problem.

Having seen the color displays, I would much prefer those (daylight readable is a good thing), as well as more memory (even though I have not used any additional charts. Maybe I would if my units had more RAM.)

That said, the new RIB will have a color permanent mount unit, probably either a Garmin 172 or a Lowrance of some type.

Not exactly a horror story, I guess, but, hey: You asked.

jky