Old 21 April 2004, 16:03   #1

Town: Sheerness
Boat name: TBA
Make: Parker
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Which GPS / Plotter / VHF

Just a question with regards to peoples choice on the above items.
I personally have electronics from Raymarine ( Plotter ) ,Icom ( VHF )and Furuno ( Radar )

I was wondering what experience people have had with electronics on RIBs and the harsh enviorment they have to deal with unlike that of say a Fairline or Sunseeker.On my last Boat a Proline American Sportsfisher 2950 I was spoilt in the way of electronics and screen size with a Plotter by furuno a GD180 commercial with 14 " screen as well as Simrad Fishfinder 12" screen plus radar same size.

Displays seem to vary in daylight use on smaller craft , some dissappear , some are simply too small ................look forward to the response

David B

www.Sheernesslifeboat.co.uk
Old 21 April 2004, 16:17   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Lowrance all the way for the GPS and Chartplotter. Displays are great, have more features than most will ever need (and I only have the basic LMS 320). Use Navionics Charts, which are excellent. Most importantly the unit has taken a fair battering and soaking and has shown no sign of giving up. PC software, is great too. (No, I don't work for Lowrance!!)

As for VHF, I had an Icom 401 on my old boat and I'm getting one for my new boat as well. Faultless, very compact and very waterproof, so is ideal for those who like to get wet in the rough stuff!!

Bought my Lowrance in America for half the UK price. Delivered to Ireland in 5 days. Just something to think about. I don't think you can buy VHFs from the States though, something to do with frequencies or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 21 April 2004, 16:24   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Likewise I have a Raymarine plotter and an Icom VHF. Unfortunately no radar

The gear seems well constructed.

The plotter is fitted and removed every time we use the RIB and no problem with anything breaking. Software and controls aren't particularly intuitive. I prefer Garmin kit in this respect. I had a dem of the 2010 colour plotter at the boat show and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if I had the budget available!

The VHF is seven years old, but has been mounted in a DS Developments case so that may have helped. The quality of reception is excellent. I should mention that Andre and Mike C also have excellent VHFs (don't know what make) - once we were able to hear their transmissions when they were going around St Catherine's Point and we were in Lymington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
I don't think you can buy VHFs from the States though, something to do with frequencies or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can buy VHFs from the States, and the International frequencies should be exactly the same. But the DSC sets aren't class D which is UK & European spec. And they probably aren't CE marked. Jon Brooks is probably your man on this subject.

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2004, 16:27   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Raymarine plotter and fish finder all the way.

I would rather have an Icom vfh but at £600+ for a dcs unit i decided on a Silva S10.
Thers lot of people had problems with Silva's failing and if mine goes the same way ill buy one of the water proof panels that people mount CD players behind.
Old 21 April 2004, 17:36   #5

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I should mention that Andre and Mike C also have excellent VHFs (don't know what make) - once we were able to hear their transmissions when they were going around St Catherine's Point and we were in Lymington.

HTH!
ICOM 401 on both ribs . On my new rib I have the Icom 601 and Raymarine RC435i chartplotter

Andre
Old 21 April 2004, 18:42   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Zulu
Make: Humber oceanpro
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75 Etec
MMSI: 235016713
Garmin 182C plotter with blue chart data; garmin 160 blue fishfinder and NASA 25 vhf with DSC. All recently fitted and working well.
Old 21 April 2004, 21:04   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Icom VHF every time, had several, (almost) faultless. Got the M601 all-in-one DSC and it's worth every penny of £550.

Garmin GPS (chartplotter) for ease of use and great PC software. Crap echosounders though. Got the '168' which does a lot for the money (~£500) but is a small screen and slow processor.

Lowrance/Eagle make good budget GPS, not a patch on Garmin though.

Lowrance/Eagle make exceptional echosounders, and are the cheapest aswell, wish i had got one over the Garmin.
Old 21 April 2004, 21:12   #8

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I can recommend Garmin plotters, the blue chart is very convenient and accurate. The best recommendation is I would buy the same 182 again.
Garmin sounders are pants, definitely wouldn't buy another. I bought the top of the range 240 blue and its most definitely pants.
Radios are another grey area, fitted Silva S15 but it gave up after 3 months, worked great till then so will reserve judgement till the new warranty replacement has been fitted for a while (when it eventually turns up)
Old 22 April 2004, 00:07   #9

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Lowrance and ICOM ... used that combination for 15 years on many RIBs and never had any issues ... he says touching all the wood in the house!!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2004, 07:45   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I've had Garmins for years - I like the easy menu systems and I think they are the "Nokia" of marine instruments - easy to use, and they've got something to suit most people!

Got a 172 C on order for the new leisure boat - still on it's way from Taiwan!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2004, 07:55   #11

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
I have had Lowrance Plotters and sounders on a few Ribs and to be honest have found them to be great for a few years then they all turn to Shite at once. Just bought a Raymarine C80 that is basically a display unit that you can add anything onto. Only had it fittedfor a few weeks and still awaiting the trasducer for it but up till now it seens like a good unit, although it is quite expensive. Its the first unit that I've had that used the Navitronics Gold charts, the other ones all used Seamap and IMHO the navitronics are a better layout and have clearer information.
As i say its the first Raymarine unit that I;ve had so time will tell, I did however look at a Furuno and Simrad Plotter/Sounder comdination and would have probably bought the Furuno one if it would have fitted into the space as I've had furuno stuff on the charter boat and it's bomb proof, also their wee GP31 Gps was the best.
VHF wise it's got to be Icom or Sailor.
Andy
Old 22 April 2004, 20:21   #12

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
The only issue I have ever had is with the cables, constant plugging and unplugging buggers then up after a few years ... but as i said I have 15years of Lowrance experience across about 6 models on different boats. I have 2 now. And never really had an issue.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2004, 18:40   #13

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
mmmm what would I choose? lol

VHF would have to be Icom

GPS well am a big Garmin fan, if you have the room and the money then a 2006.

Radar Raymarine every time

Just my thoughts