Old 18 March 2003, 07:23   #1

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Which GPS?

Hi Everyone,

My current Gps has been sent to "Davy Jones Locker" it sprung a leak due to the case being distorted on fitting (by previous owner) honest! Sent for repair and the satelite reciever is u/s cost of replacement uneconomical.

The unit was a MLR 312FX to replace will cost approx £300.00.

I have looked at the Navman 500i with the fuel unit. I have been quoted £280.00 for the pair. Dose anyone have experience on this Gps unit?

I understand that this unit is gas seald with an integral aerial, Is this better than external aerial mounted on an "A" Frame? Is it suitable for Ribs?

Or is there any other type of unit on the market that offers the same features? I have not found one as yet

I cannot justify the extra expence on a map type plotter unit, in my view still too expensive but I stand to be corrected. My Main cruise area is the Solent.

Sorry there are lots of questions. All views are very welcome.

Regards
Old 18 March 2003, 07:47   #2

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
GPS

Hi There

I have heard that the Navman electronics leak, some people are on there 3rd one etc, I would recommend Garmin every time, had no problems with any of there equipment.

Julian
Old 18 March 2003, 08:47   #3

Town: Leatherhead
GPS

Kevin,

I would agree with Julian, the Garmin units are very good and the after sales service is second to none.

I have the 126 with remote aerial but I think you can get the same model with built-in aerial which saves all the hassle of trying to thread a cable (which can't be cut) through to the A-frame.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2003, 09:01   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Re: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribald
the hassle of trying to thread a cable (which can't be cut)
Oh yes it can!

But I would agree that Garmin products are excellent, with a terrific after sales service.
Old 18 March 2003, 10:03   #5

Town: Newfoundland
I have a MLR 312 GPS plus a Raymarine 425 Plotter on Blue Ice. The thing I like about the MLR is that it has a full numeric keypad which makes entering waypoints a lot easier. The plotter btw is around £400, what makes them expensive is the price of Navionics chart chips - £180 for one for the East Coast. (Mind you does cover from Holland on one side, Grimbsy on 't'other down to Sarf of the Dover strait)

If I were replacing a GPS I would tend to go for one with an internal antennae. Two reasons....1) avoids the hassle of running cabling under the deck to the A-frame and 2) one less connector to get wet, break and generally worry about.

Cant speak for Garmin cos never owned one but lots of folk swear by them. Had a Lowrance and wasnt impressed. Gotta MLR which I like but came with the boat and bought the Raymarine which I think is excellent VFM.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 18 March 2003, 10:15   #6

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
First Raymarine, second Garmin. No contest!
Old 18 March 2003, 10:17   #7
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Re: Re: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Oh yes it can!
Dirk's dead right. Just pick up some scissors and go snip. Shortly afterwards, do the same to your warranty card.
Old 18 March 2003, 12:42   #8

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Warrenttees aside for the cable. before you cut the connector off make sure you have the correct replacement connector, "looks about right" offten isn't goodnt enough.
Have fun Jelly
Old 18 March 2003, 13:07   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
There's no need to thread the cable to the A-frame, because there's no need to mount your GPS antenna on the A-frame!

Not only is the cabling a pain, but the antenna is unnecessarily vulnerable stuck up there -- especially on the standard 1" screw mount (designed for sailing boats!).

Mount your GPS antenna on the console. It doesn't need to be high, so long as it has a decent view of the sky. With some designs (possiobly many, or even most) you can take the bottom half off the casing and mount the unit straight onto the console. It's even possible to mount the antenna inside the console and still get a decent signal. Have a play around -- you might be surprised.

Why do people put GPS antennas on A-frames anyway?

John
Old 18 March 2003, 13:34   #10

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Re: Re: Re: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by davidmanning

Dirk's dead right. Just pick up some scissors and go snip. Shortly afterwards, do the same to your warranty card.
What's your name, Jon Fuller. Garmin don't mind you shortening the cable, as long as you crimp and solder the new plug on.

Although i would also agree that there is no need to fit the antenna on an A frame. Quite often we fit them inside the console, after all, the antenna casing is made of plastic and the signal seem to penetrate that ok!
Old 18 March 2003, 14:07   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett

Why do people put GPS antennas on A-frames anyway?

John
Damn good question. Guess it has something to do with using that dirty great piece of stainless for something useful other than mounting Nav lights on. Since 90% of dont have self righting gear, IMHO none of us need A frames really. Its just a styling thing.

I have gps antennaes both on the A-frame (cos thats what was already there) and on the console - mounted flush as JK mentions. The console mounted one for the plotter seems to get a decent Sat signal even though at some angles it could be conceivably shadowed by the steel frame around the windscreen.

Alan
Old 18 March 2003, 14:17   #12

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
A Frames

I think the reason used to be to ensure that the antenna was not blocked by anything as the reception power a few years back was no as strong as it is now, It seems fine to flush mount them now and we will be adding ours to the console or the engine both when we fit the new Raython in a few weeks time.

A frames help with VHF reception as its good to get the antenna as high as possible.

Julian
Old 18 March 2003, 17:09   #13

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Of course it might be useful to carry your charts & compasses for the next few weeks in case Uncle Sam switches the satellites off for a bit........
Old 18 March 2003, 18:00   #14

Town: Southam
Make: Humber
Length: 5m
Engine: Yamaha
I have a Navman 500 with a built in antenna, it was usualy taken off and kept inside the console, generally a good job but the screen steamed up a bit last year. I intended to take it back but the years warranty ran out. I opened it up and dried out the silica gel pack and its been ok since. Not sure I would want to leave one out in the open all the time...
Old 18 March 2003, 19:01   #15

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Right m8, I have alwaysed used Garmin, i have the Gramin 126 (GPS with internal arial) stright on my console, dad (cabin crusier) has Garmin 180 (chartplotter) ariel on roof, and we share the old Garmin 12 (GPS handheld), never had any problems at all. But I always considered Garmin to be a average suitable manufacture. For someone like me, on a (lose) budget who looks to buy cheap but good.

But the Navman with FUEL UNIT sounds good, if keeping an eye on your fuel consuption is what you need (i.e. crusing lots etc). Navman have a good repuation, but as pointed out many people have had leakage problems and have had many units replaced. So if you want the added benefit of a unit that will be monitoring your fuel with the risk that it will leak (even if it does hopefully under warranty so shouldnt be to much hassel to replace).

Persoanlly I'd give myself a few more options than just 2, read a few boating mags to see what they say when they do a test, then decide what suits you.

well thats my thoughts anyway
Old 18 March 2003, 21:49   #16

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
...none of us need A frames really. Its just a styling thing....
- C'mon Alan, you've forgotten that really vital purpose of the A-frame. I'll give you a clue, just as important as the drysuit comfort zip!
Old 18 March 2003, 21:57   #17

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I don't really think there is much debate to be had on the subject.

Navman make an affordable fuel monitoring solution with the added bonus of a GPS which is also now needed following death of the previous one.

Buy it. To my knowledge the only alternative is a FLO-Scan which is more expensive and does not come with a "free" GPS!

D
Old 19 March 2003, 07:37   #18

Daniel, have you got the Navman 500i fitted with the transducer kit? Who else has? I fitted mine last week obviously for a twin engine set-up, and tried it out at the week-end. I was just wondering about the accuracy...would you trust the figures implicitly?
Old 19 March 2003, 09:58   #19

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I did not need, nor could i justify the extra cost of another GPS (More then happy with the Lowrance GPS-Map i have) but i wanted fuel monitoring...

So i fitted a Navman fishfinder with the fuel monitoring capability. This was months ago and the accuracy is very impressive - within my ability to measure it that is. I always fill the boat when back home fron cans, when the Navman says i've used 25li i can get a whole can in, if it says 50, two etc. Never measured the accuracy against a pump i'm affraid. Also never needed to calibrate the flow meter.

Don't really know how big my fuel tank is either! (sounds bad er?) But i've set the Navman to think it's 90li, best to be safe then sorry. I have run out once (before i had the fuel computer) and roughly worked it out to be 100li based upon reserve put in, distance to slip and amount to fill tank once home!

The addition of this is the only way i have been able to get some real consumption figures. Cruising @ 4000 RPM, i am burning 30li/hr, which i can easily double to 60li/hr if i nail the go faster stick!

I'll be interested to hear you'r figures Charles.
Old 19 March 2003, 13:24   #20

Interesting Daniel, my Navman was reporting 46l/hr cruising at +-38knts about 4000rpm - two Mariner 225hp (combined).
If this is in fact correct then I am not overly worried.

I would think it crucial to let Navman know exactly what capacity you have as it can then work out how much you have used over a given period. It is frightening to watch the figures as you open the throttles on mine - at this stage I pretend I am an ostrich