Old 21 March 2003, 07:02   #21

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Thanks everyone,

I now have plenty of views to look through regarding which GPS to buy. Charles I would be very interested to hear how you get on with your Navman! Some people said they do not rate them as they have a tendency to leak, however, as always others rate them very well.

I know Garmin are the big player, but they do not offer the fuel monitoring feature which is what I would realy like to have, no fuel guage on board other than a dipping stick. I really like the Rayethon Gps but beyound my budget. I am surprised that no one else has a built in fuel monitoring system or do people rely on seperate fuel guages?

My Jet ski had the lot all laid into the console it could monitor (Hours, Fuel, Engine Revs, Distance, & Digital Compass) all from one unit. If I could buy on of these seperately I wonder if it could be used on my eninge?

As for mounting the mushroon dome on an "A" Frame I have my Nav Lights on mine, VHF Aerial, Searchlight and External Speaker. Plus I intend to mount towing brackets for the toys, ect.

Once again thanks

Regards
Old 21 March 2003, 08:32   #22

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Aging Youth
I am surprised that no one else has a built in fuel monitoring system or do people rely on separate fuel gauges?
Funny you should say that, because when I was doing my investigations into fuel monitoring etc, I posed this very question to my local Raymarine dealer as well as Garmin. Both the replies were similar and quite acceptable.
' We stick to what we do best and leave others to manufacture these devices' - fair enough.
I also looked into the brilliant Floscan systems and was quoted the thick end of £2000.00 for my twin setup. I opted for the Navman system which I installed in less than an hour (very simple - and I like simple). The total cost was £152.00 for the Navman 500i and the fuel kit (for twins) was £64.00. I have only used it once so cannot comment as yet.

If I can offer you further advice, and that is to get a basic float system in your tank with a reliable gauge initially. The fancy bits can come later.
Old 21 March 2003, 09:14   #23

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Geez! for that price I think I will get one in the near future!

Go to resreach...
Old 25 March 2003, 07:08   #24

Navman 500I

Good Day Charles,

Thank you for your reply very usefull info, Did you purchase your unit in Jersey? I gather that the price you paid is free of VAT?

Is there any way I could purchase one at that price? The saving on U.K. price would help pay for float unit & guage.

I would hope to be able to attend the Ribnet meet in Plymouth if your intend going.

regards

Kevin AKA
Old 25 March 2003, 09:57   #25

I suppose a little 'sweetener' in the pub at Plymouth would entice me to buy one for you in Jsy , sans VAT and bring it over .
Old 25 March 2003, 10:02   #26

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
WOW

I've just stumbled across my receipt, £314 for a fish-finder and single engine fuel kit!
Old 25 March 2003, 12:22   #27

Liquid Refreshments

Hi Charles,

It would be a pleasure sir, I would love to join you for some liquid refreshments (note the plural) in Plymouth.

If you send me a PM with a contact number I will call you and discuss proposal.

Regards
Old 25 March 2003, 19:47   #28

Done, AY.
Old 25 March 2003, 19:54   #29

On another note...

As i already have a GPS, so have no place for the Navman 500. But they do appear to do a fishfinder with Fuel Monitering, the Fish 450 if i remember correctly. But I cannot find an online retailer (UK or anywhere) that stocks this. Does anybody know anymore about this system, price and functionality, Daniel said earlier he had something along this line. Also any of recommendations for fishfinder with fuel monitering?

Thanx
Old 25 March 2003, 20:43   #30

Yep, Fish 450 Tri-colour. Monitors water speed, temperature, battery voltage, fish! and of course fuel. Got it from

http://www.marinedirect.co.uk/system/index.html

Who are infact a company called John Bridger Marine in Exeter, 01392 216420 (I know this because i have the invoice from them!).
Old 25 March 2003, 21:49   #31

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Fuel transducer

Charles myself and Tim run Navman 5600 plotter, gps with dual eng fuel inputs after careful calibration we have a 12% to 15% error per motor on full tank its quite good , amazing to see how your fuel range changes as u optimize cruising speed and revs, however unit is currently in for repair along with our Navman depth sounder( which can also take fuel inputs for a lot less the cost) due to moisture ingress despite the fact that it is IP67 submerssible to depth 1m for 30 mins , nice gavin
Old 25 March 2003, 23:54   #32

right then.
If charles is getting Kevin the GPS, over here, and I am looking to get the Fish 450 Tri-colour with fuel bit as well, and my dad is looking to get the 450 and fuel bit as well, well in short that means that our local re-seller is going to get 3 orders. So what is the possability of gettin a bit more than the usual 10% discount if 3 of us is buying?

Charles who did you buy yours off?

Sounds like it is at least worth a try
Old 26 March 2003, 07:11   #33

Fishfinder & Fuel Unit

Hi TW

From the information I have required, The Navman fuel unit connectas to either the fishfinder or there Gps units (although not all of them).

Connection is made via a cable link that plugs into the back of the fishfinder or Gps. If you go to WWW.plastimo.com you will find out more details on this web site. I managed to download an instruction manual from the web, very good reading.

I spoke with Daniel on the subject of the fuel unit with fishfinder and he is very happy with performance/accuracy. As always there were some people who mentioned reliability could be an issue with time.

As Charles has already stated, instalation seems to be very easy, however, manual does state that you need to calibrate fuel unit first (25lts) to gain better accuracy.

One thought I did have last night, if we were able to purchase unit through Charles. Should there be any warrenty/service issues would we have to return unit to retailer in Jersey? Charles any thoughts.

My decision to buy has been made on the functionality of the unit combined with a Gps system, recomendations made on Ribnet and of course the price.

Cheap is not always chearfull

Regards
Old 26 March 2003, 07:16   #34

Good idea Lee - I buy most everything through Iron Stores Marine as I have an account and get 12% discount. I will phone Nigel this morning, price the items and let you all know.
Old 26 March 2003, 18:12   #35

For info: Filled up today following a good session out Saturday. NAVMAN said 47li used, and i got 46.8li in according to Elf fuel pump! Thats with no calibration.
Old 26 March 2003, 20:02   #36

Navman

Tim bought the Navman stuff online from the U.S I think it was vit electronics, at a much reduced price to the advertised UK price.Initally there was a recgonised Navman software problem with the fuel tranducer input into the depth sounder, incidently its speed log differs widely to the speed log on our Navman gps, despite different wheel positions and settings.The software upgrade allowing fuel trandsucer connection was provided free and under warranty by Navman.The Navman stuff comes with a two year worldwide warranty.It came from the states and was sent to Plastimeo in the UK.After calibration seperatly for each engine we still get about 12-15 % error and as I said in the last post both the units 5600 plotter and sounder are currently off the rib and in the UK for repair due to moisture getting in.However leaving this aside the Navman stuff is excellent but mobile phones and vhf from our nearest coastal station crashes the plotter if it is too close to it.It is really important to make sure the fuel trandsuer is right way up and free from vibration, this might involve replacing fuel hose each side of it to soft vibration absorbing hose for a metre or so gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2003, 20:15   #37

Vit details

http://www.vitelectronics.com/nm5600.html

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2003, 18:40   #38

Navman Info

Hi Gavin,

Thanks' for the info, realy appreciated. Will check out web site. However, in process of sorting a unit via Ribnet user with offshore contacts

Regards
Old 27 March 2003, 20:08   #39

Gavin/Kevin, this is the reply I received this morning:

Charles,

The 500i and 450i and not available here in the U.S.

Regards,
Mike Tralies
VIT Electronics
URL - http://www.vitelectronics.com
Email - vitelec@att.net

Kevin, I have not forgotten, just really busy at the mo.
Old 27 March 2003, 22:37   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
Gavin/Kevin, this is the reply I received this morning:

Charles,

The 500i and 450i and not available here in the U.S.

Regards,
Mike Tralies
VIT Electronics
URL - http://www.vitelectronics.com
Email - vitelec@att.net

Kevin, I have not forgotten, just really busy at the mo.
Charles fear not, I shall go down tomorrow morning and see either Rob or Nigel, I am usually fine to get 10% so that is a starting point.

I dont start work until 1, so with any luck I will report back before then.

Thanx
Lee