Old 06 November 2012, 12:29   #1

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Which Battery

Hi Guys,

Time for a new battery and I'm totally confused. The one that is on is a Squadron 120AH. I've sourced a replacement NUMAX. The question I have is, is this overkill?

The outboard is a 140hp Tohatsu, the alternator spec is 12v, 330W, 27.5A.

So do I really need a 120AH, or can I go lower? BTW I get the 12v bit, and I can understand 330w in terms of power output, lost after that.

Can you offer any advice?

Ta

Neil
Old 06 November 2012, 13:30   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Looks like you have a 27.5A alternator max output. As for battery size, I would have thought an 80Ah would be quite fine for normal ribbing use. It is CCA (cold cranking amps) that is often more important than Ah capactiy. As the Ah goes up, generally the CCA reduces because the lead plates get thinner for higher capacity designs. Some of the highest CCA batteries are only 50AH. Check out Optima batteries for example.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2012, 13:37   #3

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
It's not really about the overall capacity (120AH) which could be 120A current drawn over 1 hour or (at the other extreme) 1A current drawn over 120 hours, but the cranking (i.e. starting) capacity, which is the ability of the battery to support the heavy duty starter whilst you start (how much current you can pull out over say 10s is largely determined by the cell construction).

If this is your outboard: http://www.tohatsu.co.jp/en/boat/pro...0A2_110207.pdf then the manual says:
Minimum recommended battery :
12V, 70AH (800 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 650 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA))

I'm not sure which actual battery you are looking at, but you just look for a specification for MCA or CCA which you need to match against your outboard manual. I tend to go a little bigger on both CCA and AH requirements just for safety, but you don't have to!

Forgot to add - the alternator output just indicates how quickly you can charge the battery (but the alternator will not charge at 27.5A unless you have reasonable revs) - so on the plane at 3500 rpm I'm guessing that you would get 20A and if you sustained that for 1 hour then 20AH would go into your 120AH battery (so it would take 6 hours of continuous running to charge fully). Hope that helps !
Old 06 November 2012, 14:34   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Brill, thanks both, (and thanks for the link to the manual, very thoughtful).

I understand a whole lot more now and better I now know what to buy