Old 16 May 2018, 23:55   #1

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Where to fit a Transom transducer

I have an old Garmin GPSMAP & Sounder that i would like to rig up on my Avon Searider Adventure 4.7 (i know its an old unit but it will be nice to find the rocky high ground easier when fishing :-) )
Havent got the fitting instructions for the transducer so wonder if people could advise where i should be mounting it please ( & any good suggestions for fitting the gps aerial would also be great - no A frame fitted)

Many thanks
Old 17 May 2018, 05:06   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
GPS ideally clear line of sight of sky on a flat ish surface. It could work inside console, worth a try before drilling holes if there’s no metal and stuff above it. Older ones struggle more. Mine wouldn’t work in console. As it’s similar age.

Transducer if you just want depth stick in bilge with some marine sealant. If you want pretty fish shapes it might need to be in the water so transom mount but not right in front of engine or you may disturb wash to prop.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:16   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing where to place the transducer if it's not in the instructions. I have a friend drive my boats at speed while I look over the stern to view the least airated water, then mark with a waterproof pen. I've always fixed mine to the outside of my boats for best results. I have no problem running at 40kmh 23 knots and clearly showing bottom in 300m with a low cost standard Lowrance transducer.

As a tip a slight angle of the tranducer facing forward helps for traveling at speed.

My Lowrance hds gen3 picks up on satalites even when inside my garage, it must be able to pickup enough satalites from the one garage window 2 m from the centre console. Can't comment on older units but I've not had issues with Lowrance over the last 15 years.
Old 17 May 2018, 14:47   #4

Thanks for your replies

I found the fitting instructions this morning but i allways find, people that had done this numerous times have a a valuable wealth of tips & tricks ( & straight forward talk :-) )

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo.../17-247-03.pdf

Doesnt really give you a depth in the water, seems like its quite protected behind the transom for the most part (which can only be a good thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I have a friend drive my boats at speed while I look over the stern to view the least airated water, then mark with a waterproof pen. I've always fixed mine to the outside of my boats for best results.

As a tip a slight angle of the tranducer facing forward helps for traveling at speed.
I did think about doing this but i wanted to get it fitted today
;-)

founds these whilst searching ribnet to give me an idea

Old 17 May 2018, 15:03   #5

The gps aerial is quite large & given the small consul on the SR, i did wonder if an aerial like the one my satnav radio uses, would work ???