Old 28 November 2003, 18:38   #11

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
As soon as ive spoken to Jason at Prosport it give the guy at RedCar a ring.
I think all this money youve saved me means i can have a CD player and waterproof speakers in the boat!

Old 28 November 2003, 18:47   #12

There are a lot of DSC units going for under 200 but not that many of them are up to the abuse the recieve on a rib.

Which radio are you using Peteb

Old 28 November 2003, 18:52   #13

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Nasa SX35, nice bit of kit for the money, see www.allgadgets.co.uk under 190 I think.
Old 28 November 2003, 18:56   #14

looks nice but this is a bit suspect:

Quote:
In general waterproof to CFR-46.
I have no idea what that is but what does "In general" mean?
Thats the only problem with sets like that. On a rib it will get wet. Ill get a lil screen though so wont be too bad.

Oh btw, its on sale at 187.99 Sounds like a bit of a deal to me if you've got somewhere dry to put it
Old 28 November 2003, 19:04   #15

I have seen that www.allgadgets.co.uk are doing the Garmin Blue Charts for 149 ish, don't know if that is cheap or not, but you get the charts for most of the South Coast up and around to the end of the Thames on one disc. BEWARE that you may have to buy another memory chip to hold all the data, that COULD be an additional cost, so a couple of questions required there. Garmin UK are brilliant and will help you with all you need to know.
Old 28 November 2003, 19:08   #16

are those the Garmin Blue large charts or the small ones?
The large ones cover the whole south coast inc. London and northern France, The small ones are about that price normally and cover a tiny area in comparison.

I belive that the memory chips are for when you buy the Bluecharts on CD and use a computer to transfer them to a memory chip that goes into the Plotter. Correct me if im wrong, i need to find all this out.
Old 28 November 2003, 19:09   #17

This MAY help :-

USCG CFR-46

USCG CFR-46 refers to the Coast Guard definition for waterproof, this is not a Coast Guard requirement.

The Coast Guard definition is found in 46 CFR 110.15-1(b)19, which states that a "Waterproof machine means a totally enclosed machine so constructed that a stream of water from a hose with a nozzle one inch in diameter that delivers at least 65 gallons per minute can be played on the machine from any direction from a distance of about 10 feet for a period of not less than 5 minutes without leakage...". A similar description applied to watertight.

International Maritime Organization (IMO) Resolution A.605(15), referring to VHF hand-helds used in survival craft, describes water-tight requirements as "The equipment should be watertight to a depth of 1 meter for at least 5 minutes", and that it should "maintain watertightness when subjected to a thermal shock of 45 degrees C under conditions of immersion."
Old 28 November 2003, 19:10   #18

But it says, "In general", which bit isnt water proof?
Old 28 November 2003, 19:24   #19

There is no big or small, all one size I'm afraid (unless you have a bigger plotter :-) )

You can either buy the chart on a pre programmed chip or on a CD that is put on your computer and transferred onto the memory in your unit. I am not too sure of the memory requirement of the whole of the South coast chart, but I am certain it will NOT fit on the chip suppied with the unit (if one is supplied), or on the internal memory. I have a selection of chips all various sizes so can't remember what is required for the South coast. Speak to Garmin on Monday, tell them the unit you fancy getting and they will tell you exactly which size chip you need.

NOW if you get the pre programmed chip, you can only view the data on the PC but NOT transfer any data whatsoever to the PC. IF you get the CD and download it onto the unit you can view routes and set wayponits on the PC BUT for waypoints the unit MUST be directly connected to the PC. I say this as you can get a chip reader which connects by USB but you CANNOT set waypoints into the chip within this, it MUST be connected directly to the unit. The card readers are quite expensive, I had a problem as my PC does not have the 9 pin connection required by the Unit connectivity kit, only a USB, I therefore had to get a 9 pin to USB convertor from Garmin at a stupid price (because others do not work), but that did not work due to a clash with some synchronising programme for my PDA running in the background on my Sony Vaio desktop. I can only connect my unit via the USB convertor to my Sony Vaio Laptop, carzy I know, but I spent hours and hours trying to resolve that, but no joy. I therefore have to set all my waypoints e.t.c. via the laptop.
Old 28 November 2003, 19:27   #20

Well I am NOT going to chuck buckets of water over mine for you to find out :-)