Old 17 January 2010, 09:30   #1

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
What price to get excited about AIS?

NASA Have just relaunched their budget-priced AIS engine, now in version three.

Given that this is sold for around 100 quid, versus the 400-600 price tag of the big names... And a second VHF antenna can be added for less than 30 quid - has this technology reached the point where it is "silly not to"?
Old 17 January 2010, 10:36   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
At that price you could surely organise a bulk buy!
Old 17 January 2010, 10:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
At that price you could surely organise a bulk buy!

Old 17 January 2010, 13:14   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
NASA Have just relaunched their budget-priced AIS engine, now in version three.

Given that this is sold for around 100 quid, versus the 400-600 price tag of the big names... And a second VHF antenna can be added for less than 30 quid - has this technology reached the point where it is "silly not to"?
I don't think this is just a price point argument. It depends where you 'sail' and in what conditions etc. If you sail in quiet, out the way places then you won't see much on the AIS. If you are generally a daylight and good weather boater then there is probably also little benefit of AIS.

If you sail in shipping lanes at night or in poor vis then it makes much more sense; in your situation it would probably be silly not to. For others it could be a waste of cash that would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 17 January 2010, 16:24   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Polwart,

I think I would be a little more generous towards it than that.
I find AIS adds hugely to my enjoyment of driving.
There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a ship, asking each other what it is (esp. if it is a strange looking ship) and then having to dissolve into mild disappointment when nobody knows the answer or can only guess at it.
What delight (or what passes for relative delight!) in being able to name the ship, its type and destination-to name but a few of its characteristics.
A couple of hundred of your English pounds well spent I think.

But there you go. I get a massive amount of enjoyment as I go along playing with the plotter and listening to the VHF as well.
Old 17 January 2010, 16:38   #6

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Polwart,

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a ship, asking each other what it is (esp. if it is a strange looking ship) and then having to dissolve into mild disappointment when nobody knows the answer or can only guess at it.
What delight (or what passes for relative delight!) in being able to name the ship, its type and destination-to name but a few of its characteristics.

But there you go. I get a massive amount of enjoyment as I go along playing with the plotter and listening to the VHF as well.

Confused dot COM !!!!!
Old 17 January 2010, 17:43   #7

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
a transponder makes more sence than a receiver only .
Where we can find well peiced tranponders?
Old 17 January 2010, 18:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgos View Post
a transponder makes more sence than a receiver only .
Where we can find well peiced tranponders?
At the moment I would say Comar have the market with their CSB200, priced at around 400 pounds.

But the radio manufacturers are finally catching onto AIS and I think ultimately their packages will be the most cost effective.

Odd how they missed the DSC boat the first time it came around and then missed the AIS one too.
Old 17 January 2010, 19:07   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post

Confused dot COM !!!!!
they don't get much excitement on the IoM!

Brian - I see your point, personally that is interesting rather than valuable - but you also possibly see more ships or traffic than others - which fits with my original point. If you don't see any ships then knowing who they are and where they might be going is irrelevant.
Old 18 January 2010, 08:16   #10

Quote:
We have a little diversion here that you might like in that case... If a vessel on AIS does not have a photo in the Marine Traffic database then we have been known to dash about taking photos and then racing to upload them.

Sad, yes I know. It is like competitive train spotting but with a boat.
Old 18 January 2010, 10:06   #11

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Quote:
Polwart,

Have to agree with Brian - have only used it once and on a disastrous trip so couldn't really play - but liked the fact that when out on the Solent you had a better understnasidng of what was around and who etc - yes I know there are big pro's and con's - lots of threads on it but from a purely interest/enjoyment perspective I think the £100 we spent was well worth it and of course it adds a small safety element or large depending on who you speak to

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 11:22   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Also there have been acouple of "big" regattas on the Clyde where all the yachts were rigged with something that may have been AIS, or a variation thereof with a small trransponder box tie wrapped to their pushpits, so that for example at the 8m worlds in Rhu a few years ago they had the races "live" on screen in a marquee at the marina. May have been live o nthe web as well.

Now, were you spectating at such an event (and assuming they use "real" AIS"), you could see what was happening all over the course and not just where you were parked at the time.

I do agree a 2- way is probably a more sensible investment, BUT at £400 I can think of lots of other things that would preceed that purchase. (Esp. as Icom have just re - software'd their 503 to do it without the aid of another aeriel / box of electrickery, and I think Standard Horizon have one with built in AIS too? ).
Old 18 January 2010, 11:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
... and of course it adds a small safety element or large depending on who you speak to
I think as Polwart said, how much it adds to your safely depends on your boating area more than just opinion, round here poor visibility* is a way of life (caused either by hang overs or fog) so it borders on essential. In the Solent there is no much traffic about that it is a good way to have eyes in the back of your head.

Where the air is always clear and the nearest vessel is 20 miles away then it is defiantly more of a toy that a must have. Indeed having a transponder might prove valuable one day if knowing there is a boat out there could make a difference to someone's day.

* Ask anyone who came on the 2009 Floptilla!
Old 19 January 2010, 09:00   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
navigation safety zone tool

I have a Lowrance plotter and a Garmin GPSMAP 500.

Both on the rib.

Seems an ais is just one of the many functions of the Garmin GPSMAP 500 this compact machine.

I myself have only used the ais part of the machine as a safety zone alarm while night fishing.

But it has many more uses for a budget priced gps plotter sonar fish finder ect ect.
Old 19 January 2010, 12:30   #15

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I do agree a 2- way is probably a more sensible investment, BUT at £400 I can think of lots of other things that would preceed that purchase. (Esp. as Icom have just re - software'd their 503 to do it without the aid of another aeriel / box of electrickery, and I think Standard Horizon have one with built in AIS too? ).
Standard showed their AIS-inclusive VHF radios at London. Indications on RRP look good, so discounted price will be OK. They aren't transponders though, just a receive unit. They have mini AIS display on the screen and you can scroll round them to pick up MMSI and call up directly. Good if you have your chartplotter below deck.

£400 for Comar transponder would be ex-VAT. If you're quick (like before 21 Jan) We can do a show special for £520 including UK delivery and the GPS antenna f.o.c. (usually around £75)
Old 19 January 2010, 13:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
. Good if you have your chartplotter below deck.
Most of us ribbers have the plotter by the wheel. It's mostly only the Redbay guys can park theirs below deck! (Which is where the NASA "box" has it's uses on a RIB). If I;m looking to receive only, for not a lot more money then the AIS reciever, I can upgrade my radio & get DSC on the plotter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
£400 for Comar transponder would be ex-VAT. If you're quick (like before 21 Jan) We can do a show special for £520 including UK delivery and the GPS antenna f.o.c. (usually around £75)
...which is around 500L of fuel at marina prices, and comes back to Malthouse's original Q - How cheap does it need to be before you'll buy one?

I'm going to chuck this in as a thought in case any of the electronics manufacturers are out there: Plotter with a VHF anenna connection on the back. For the cost of a bit of added known technology (i.e.relatively small development costs), the plotter has the AIS reception built in. On a small open boat, the reduction in wiring & hardware will not only free up some space, but also improve system reliability as you don't need another NMEA talker in the bus with a few more connectors to get corroded......

I suppose taking that to it's ultimate conclusion, maybe a SW antenna connector as well - then you could get Navtex on screen too!
Old 19 January 2010, 14:31   #17

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Could someone please summarise what AIS does/is please?

I understand the basic principles of information exchange - course, speed, vessel name...but...

Some systems receive, some transmit and receive? The received information is viewed through a plotter? In order to receive you need...what?

If I just wanted to "see" other AIS transmitting vessels on my Garmin 550s, is this do-able? What would I need to make it happen other than an AIS receiver?

Icom (and presumably others) do AIS integrated VHF radios. Where does that fit in?

Are some vessles mandated to fit and operate AIS?

In order to have a view on Malthouse's question about price point I'd like to have a better view on the system capability/complication
Old 19 January 2010, 14:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
If I just wanted to "see" other AIS transmitting vessels on my Garmin 550s, is this do-able? What would I need to make it happen other than an AIS receiver?
No problemo!

You just need a receiver (100 pounds) a standard VHF antenna or splitter (30 pounds) and to connect the right wires. You will then see the data from any local vessels on your 550.

Have a read of the full story here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...ication_System
Old 19 January 2010, 15:04   #19

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post

Leapy - we have a 550s and have done exactly as Duck Witch (Welcome to RIBnet ) details above - works a treat and we felt it was money well spent

It wasn't difficult at all the only "tricky" part is keeping the AIS receiver dry as it's not waterproof (ours is the AIS engine I think)

Shout if you need any pictures - will get poor old hubby out there with the camera

Jxx

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 15:25   #20

Just a quick heads up - not all of the older plotters are "AIS enabled", although I think I'm safe in saying any new plotter these days probably is.