Old 30 December 2010, 11:13   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Problem with that is that is is effectivley 2 connections and as a rule of thumb a connetion can loose 1db and affect VSWR if not done properly!!
Yeh I agree with that and even one connector is a connector too many in my book.

Quote:
The RIB raider on my old boat always worked really well, I think the threads in the base of this one have been cut wrong or something because the coax fitting goes into the old (broken) one fine and easily screws right in but the new one tightens up half way in - nothing visually obvious though.
My point exactly, Vitronics shit.

Old 30 December 2010, 12:29   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Totally agree, Vitroniks are complete Shite.

The pacific aerial I have had on the back of TB for the last 2 years has been faultless.

There are no plugs to wire in to the aerial so no point of failure there. The cable is hard wired into the Nylon Base and the whip then screws into the base the actual antenna part is ony 22 so if you do snap it you can replace it really easily by just unscrewing the old one.

You will need to drag the new cable through from the Aframe upto the console, however the Pacific cables have this really neat and tidy fastfit plug on the end that screws into either a cable extension or the back of one of their PL259 plugs. The plug is really small so easy to drag through.

So no soldering and all the connectors are easy to water proof.

This is the set up I needed for TB. Marine Megastore seem to stock most of it.

P6182 Seamaster Pro VHF 1.0m UltraGlass Antenna
P6111 VHF/Cellular fold down mount with 5 meters of cable
P6018 VHF 5m Extension Cable
P1217 PL259 plug FastFit

The whole lot will set you back about 55 so not expensive and a much better option IMO.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 13:56   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Problem with that is that is is effectivley 2 connections and as a rule of thumb a connetion can loose 1db and affect VSWR if not done properly!!
Well it is effectively exactly the same as what the antenna was supplied with (just that the thread on the supplied connector was not long enough) so I dont anticipate any difference in performance compared to the way it was supplied which was with a standard SO239/SO239 double ended connector.

Anyway the job is now done. What I did, for anybody else in the same situation, was:

1) Sourced an approx 2 inch long SO239 fully threaded bulkhead connector to replace the double ended SO239 that was supplied, so it would screw well into the base rather than just 2 or 3 threads. I screwed it in about 8-10 threads I think.

2) Chopped the funny Raider plug off and fitted a standard PL259 onto the end of the original VTronix coax (which was standard RG58 when I looked)

3) Cleaned upper and lower surfaces of the A frame mounting plate then applied a generous bead of sealant around the top of the hole and around where the connector goes into the antenna base, squidged the antenna down onto the hole which squeezed some sealant through the hole in the A frame and around the nut on the bottom - tightened the nut and then put a layer of sealant from the A frame mount covering over the nut and onto the threads so there should be no chance of water ingress into the bottom of the antenna.

4) Fitted the PL259 onto the bottom of the antenna, and then wrapped it all up with Bandit self amalgamating tape right down over the plug and onto the coax

5) to finish it off I smeared another good layer of the sealant over the top of the tape so the whole lot is continuously sealed right from the A frame down over the outside of the plug body and onto the coax

Should be pretty much submersible now. The sealant I used was something called Stixall which is a flexible clear adhesive sealant, it doesn't have the vinegar smell so I don't think it is based on acetic acid.

I tested it and it works well, radio check back to SWMBO's house had perfect audio (4 miles approx, but with a fairly big hill in the way) and listening to other traffic the signal strength is miles better. There was definitely a problem with the Vtronix, not sure what was wrong but it wasn't working properly and this is miles better

Time will tell if it lasts (the stainless mast is fairly stiff) but presumably the USCG give them a fairly hard time so hopefully it will be OK.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 14:22   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
The one I had on the SR4 was perfectly ok after 2 years of Sr4 abuse. That's probably more extreme use than most get.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 15:40   #15

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Two slightly crap photos off my phone. Not all that pretty when you look underneath but I don't think the sea will get in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0159.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	56253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0160.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	56254  

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 13:17   #16

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
A separate problem is that the antenna is secured by a nut on the barrel of the SO259 connector. The antenna plate on the A frame is much thicker than the normal mounting bracket and in order to get the nut to engage on the threads I have to back the SO259 out so far there are only a couple of turns of thread still left in the antenna base, I haven't figured out how to sort this yet, what I really need is a double ended SO259 that is threaded all the way down the barrel but I haven't found one locally yet.
Got my Metz today, you're right the supplied SO259 is well too short, barely long enough for use with the supplied bracket, let alone when A-frame mounting. Just ordered one of those bulkhead SO259's that you linked to
Old 10 January 2011, 17:17   #17

Length: 6m +
When we know the Metz is for use with a mounting other than the Metz bracket we supply a continuously threaded connector which replaces the connector in the base of the antenna. These continuously threaded PL258 connectors are readily available, but if you have any difficulty locating one don't hesitate to contact me and I'll send one.
The standard connector is fine for use with the Metz bracket.
Old 10 January 2011, 17:33   #18

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty John View Post
When we know the Metz is for use with a mounting other than the Metz bracket we supply a continuously threaded connector which replaces the connector in the base of the antenna. These continuously threaded PL258 connectors are readily available, but if you have any difficulty locating one don't hesitate to contact me and I'll send one.
The standard connector is fine for use with the Metz bracket.
Shame I didn't know to mention that but we live and learn!

Welcome to the forum John
Old 11 January 2011, 02:40   #19

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty John View Post
... we supply a continuously threaded connector which replaces the connector in the base of the antenna.
That sounds promising, is there a pic of one on your site John?
Old 11 January 2011, 05:16   #20

Length: 6m +
We don't sell these items because they are readily available at radio equipment suppliers. This one is at Rocket Radio, for instance:http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/pl258-l...pler-972-p.asp