Old 07 February 2004, 14:36   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
VOX Headsets

Although I hold a VHF Marine Licence I sometimes need to communicate with a non Marine VHF Licence Holder.

As such I would have thought that the PMR Radio system would be ideal over short distances. Primarily for Boat to Boat communications or Onboard communications but in no way to replace VHF radio.

Does anyone have any experience of using the PMR handsets with the VOX headsets.

How do these work. do you need a pressel switch to activate the talk function or is it voice activated and how good are they for distance and actual use at sea.
Old 07 February 2004, 16:10   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Hi Biggles.
I experimenting with a couple of systems back in 2000/2001 and reported in a thread called "In-boat Communications" I think. Do a search on that and if any questions PM me.
Old 07 February 2004, 16:14   #3

Many Thanks

Cheers Brian,

Just Looking Now.
Old 07 February 2004, 16:27   #4

Read The Thread

Brian

Read all that thread. have you continued with your use of the Motorolas and have you got better results.

I use a VHF handheld with extendable mike and an ear piece which sits over the ear. All too fiddly and the wind made the earpiece inaudible. I have since bought a Gecko helmet and haven't tried that out yet, but even if it works with my noisy engine its very difficult to speak to my son on even my little boat. Plus I probably won't wear the helmet during the summer.

The VOX headsets would be ideal if I could just see how they work. Guess I need to go in to Town and try and find some. The likes of Argos are advertising them for under £30 for two. So its not a big waste of money if it doesn't work, and if you fall in the drink then it's not a big waste of money either. Do you know if the VOX headset mike is a boom or a throat mike. I just thought. Argos do a 16 days get your money back policy.

For you information a company called Lowe produce many different sorts of mike including one that picks up your speech through the top of your head, Spooky, and I daren't ask the price.

I shall keep you posted if I find out any more.
Old 08 February 2004, 00:20   #5

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
We do a vox throat mic to work with our PMR446 radio's.
Although it will work with some other too

Have a look on the Icom website
www.icomuk.co.uk

You are lookig for the VS1 and headsets and throat mic to go with it.

I have always found vox a bad idea at sea.

Comunica make a good system using helmates and VHF marine radio's

D S Developments do one, I think, that uses marine band and 446 all linked together

Hope that helps

Regards
Old 08 February 2004, 11:07   #6

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Just had a qoute from D.S. Developments - about £1200 for a plug in full face helmet set with a link up to an Icom (not supplied)
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2004, 12:08   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
This might be of interest. Very highly rated for bikes and you only loose the quality above 80mph. You might open up a new market for them. The lads use them with PMR radios as well.

I have a PMR and box of autocom but its another project awaiting time and funding

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

Pete
Old 08 February 2004, 20:09   #8

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Biggles,

I've used a selection of PMR446 which we bought originally for ski trips (Binatone, Motorola, NTL and Topcom) in anything but the slightest wind vox is pretty useless - it can be refined slightly on the higher end sets with vox sensitivity settings.

When on the boat we do carry a set, as if nothing else it is good when you've sent a crew member to pick up fish and chips and you want to change your order or to help direct someone backing down the slipway.

On the odd occasions we have used them underway we have always used them with a headset on ptt. (the early Binatones and Motorolas are ideal for this as the ptt button are on the front. Bloody anoying when not using a headset though). If you are planning to do this check the set you buy doesn't automatically switch to vox when you plug the headset in as some do (NTL specifically I seem to remember).

Last months Practical Boat Owner had a reasonable article on PMR446, reviewed some models from cheap to semi-pro and headsets. If you want a copy drop me a PM or Email.

Cheers

Mike