Old 07 August 2008, 12:52   #1

Town: Co Clare
Length: 4m +
VHF Set not working

Hi

I have a Simrad RT62 fixed vhf which is neither receiving or transmitting . Unit powers up normally and display looks fine . When using a handheld vhf beside it there is no response . Checked aerial and all looks ok . Disconnect the aerial and stuck in a long wire ( just in case the Arial is faulty ) still didn’t receive anything . Should I have heard something ?
Before I order a new set is there anything else I could try to confirm that it is the set that is at fault .

Thanks
Tim
Old 07 August 2008, 22:13   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Could it be the hand held mike switch?
Old 07 August 2008, 22:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Could it be the hand held mike switch?

Hi Codprawn

Could be . The mike isn't in great shape . I did disconnect the mike by unscrewing it from the set and it was still the same , no Tx or Rx.

Thanks
Tim
Old 08 August 2008, 15:46   #4

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Do you hear absolutely nothing from the speaker (ie zero), even with squeltch down? If so could be a faulty internal speaker or bad connection. There may also be a jack on the back of the radio for connection to an external speaker which in most cases disables the internal speaker so this could be faulty or corroded.

Did you try transmitting to the portable (ensure your proper aerial is back in before this tho!)?
Old 08 August 2008, 19:22   #5

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
You should get noise form the set with the squelch fully open (anticlockwise) and the volume up full. No noise at all would suggest either a blown speaker or blown amp. I have appended the handset wiring diagram for you.

Does the TX indicator come on when you press the tit? If it does then you might get a click on your handheld at least telling you that the main RF power amp is OK.

Most faults with these sets were handsets followed by RF amp and occasionally a blown speaker.

Spares are not too cheap, but still available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rt62 handset.pdf (62.8 KB, 770 views)
Old 09 August 2008, 21:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffs View Post
You should get noise form the set with the squelch fully open (anticlockwise) and the volume up full. No noise at all would suggest either a blown speaker or blown amp. I have appended the handset wiring diagram for you.

Does the TX indicator come on when you press the tit? If it does then you might get a click on your handheld at least telling you that the main RF power amp is OK.

Most faults with these sets were handsets followed by RF amp and occasionally a blown speaker.

Spares are not too cheap, but still available.
Hi
Plenty of noise from the set when squelch fully open . Not sure if the TX indicator comes on will check this out . No clicks anywhere when I press the TX button . Won't be back to the boat for a few days but will check out your suggestions then .

Thanks
Tim