Originally Posted by Tony
Its a freshly installed Icom fixed with a rib raider aerial.it was a bright day.
Check out my postings on this forum. I had similar problems for more than 12 months. Sent my Icom 411 back to Icom twice, replaced my coaxial cable twice and replaced the VTronix Rib Raider Twice. I was pulling my hair out.
I finally contacted Shakespeare at Fleetwood. They bought out VTronix antennas about 1 year ago. They were very helpful and told me to disconnect the PL259 plug from the back of the radio and using a multimeter, test the resistance accross the centre plug and the outer screen. Should read a resistance value of 10,000 ohms. I found the antenna to be open circuit. I then connected the original antenna to the coaxial and found it to be short circuit.
I called Shakespeare (Product Support Dept, You'll find their number on the web) and told them what I'd found and they sent me two new, tested replacement units. I am extremely pleased and relieved to say that I now have a VHF that not only works, but performs very well!!
Incidentally, prior to fixing this issue, I tested the transmission from my boat VHF using a hand held set. The boat VHF seemed OK, but when I got out to sea and tried to contact the coast guard, the lack of antenna meant I wasn't transmitting. Presumably, I was transmitting a weak signal via my coaxial cable which the hand held could pick up, but transmissions over distance were useless.