Old 01 September 2016, 14:41   #1

Vhf radio help

Hi I recently bought a cobra vhf with built in GPS my question is do I have to register this device to use it also to receive GPS
Tia ben

Old 01 September 2016, 15:14   #2

Length: 3m +
You don't need to register to use GPS. BUT you do need to licence it to get an MMSI (like a telephone number) so that you can transmit your position if you hit the red button.

Licencing the radio (or technically the boat the radio is on) - is free of charge if done through the OfCom Website.

You also, other than in an emergency, require a certificate of competence to operate the radio, other than on CH37M which wouldn't serve any purpose for the GPS part. (That would have covered the licencing requirements so I'm guessing you don't have this). Its part online, part practical. It costs ~70-100.

Old 01 September 2016, 15:20   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You don't need to register to use GPS.
legally you may not, but practically the radio may not display GPS position until an MMSI number has been entered.
Old 01 September 2016, 17:00   #4

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You don't need to register to use GPS. BUT you do need to licence it to get an MMSI (like a telephone number) so that you can transmit your position if you hit the red button.
Only relevant for DSC ( Digital Selective Calling) equipped radios.
Old 01 September 2016, 17:07   #5

Jaba

Can you show me a GPS equipped VHF that doesn't have DSC?

Never seen one. Not sure what the point in one would be...
Old 01 September 2016, 17:09   #6
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenb View Post
Hi I recently bought a cobra vhf with built in GPS my question is do I have to register this device to use it also to receive GPS
Tia ben

Radio needs to be registered by LAW , ( view as Car Tax)

Ships' Radio or Ship Portable Radio | Ofcom

This will give you MMSI Number and will enable all the DSC functions of radio, including RED Button.

PLEASE DO THIS - Regardless if you do ther opertators course.

To use the RADIO for non-emergency purposes, you need you operators certificate as well by LAW. ( view as Driving Licence)

The options explained on my website:

2014 -RYA SRC Course Changes - RYA SRC VHF Marine Radio Courses - Scotland

Ch. M (37a) , M2 (P4) Brackets are Icom Radios- are private channels and you dont need operators cert. but have limited use since these are Club Channels.

In emergency all rules go out the window, but to enable the red button MMSI must be entered in Radio

regards

S.
Old 03 September 2016, 03:52   #7

Right guys thanks for your helpfull comments I understand now sort of,but why do I need a licence by law just so I can talk with my mate when we are out at sea,is that not a little bit over the top
Cheers
Ben
Old 03 September 2016, 04:02   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Right guys thanks for your helpfull comments I understand now sort of,but why do I need a licence by law just so I can talk with my mate when we are out at sea,is that not a little bit over the top
Cheers
Ben
Because its not a toy (if you want to use an unlicensed radio to chat to your mate buy a PMR - but bear in mind that none of us are listening for your distress call on it!).

A marine VHF radio is part of an international systems of Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems which means that even if the nearest boat is a visiting yacht from France, or a cruise ship registered in Panama, or an American naval vessel they all use the same technology, with the same standards and an agreed method of operating. Part of that is that the users must be trained so (1) they understand which channels should be used for which purposes; (2) they understand how to use an open broadcast radio without distrupting other peoples messages (power, listening before talking and using the correct key words etc); (3) you understand when to use vhf and when not to (and the legal issues).

Perhaps the most important thing you will learn on the course is how to make an effective distress call (both by DSC and by voice). If you think that is not important then bob around the solent long enough and you will hear an unclear, message which doesnt provide all the detail you need.
Old 03 September 2016, 04:23   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Cheers
Ben

Just like "why do I need a licence by law just so I can drive my car down the road with my mate when we get past the end of he drive, bit over the top".

Which side of the road do you drive on? Rights of way? Traffic lights etc

For someone in your position who I guess hasn't had much maritime experience, having never heard people use VHF, the course and licence is a must.

It'd be like driving on the road having never even seen others use it.

Without the course/knowing the rules of operation you would very quickly end up on the wrong end of the coastguard and other users!! Never mind potentially blocking emergency calls from people in distress.
Old 03 September 2016, 04:37   #10

Blimey all of a sudden I feel im getting spoken to like im a complete idiot With all the exclamation marks getting thrown around,i just wanted too fully understand the ins and outs.
I fully understand the laws and the importance of following them,however I just thought maybe there would be certain channels a pleasure boater like myself would be able to use that wouldn't interfere with any commercial operators
Thanks