Old 16 April 2012, 15:08   #71
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'm pretty much in agreement with jky on this one. The benefit of pressing the DSC button for 5 seconds is that anyone can do it whilst you tend to the problem (fire etc). Once you have a better grasp of the situation you are in, you can then do a verbal Mayday if it is required.

Regardless of other boaters responding directly to a DSC, what you will find is that the CG will put out a request for any boats in the area to assist. Certainly that is how it works round these parts. Not only do they have better range, they are better at controlling/organising the rescue/help whilst you concentrate on your problem. I've heard people read out lat and long, but I rarely find I am in a position to note it down, even when it is repeated. If it's on my vhf or plotter then at least I can review it and offer assistance if nearby.

I think in all these cases there is a great benefit for selecting the distress type. If the vhf displays a DSC call with a specific distress type then I think there is far less chance of people ignoring it as a false alarm. It's very simple as I understand it. You either press and hold the red buton for a universal distress call, or press it once, select the distress type then press it again to send the call.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 15:19   #72
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Press Red button - I agree is best

selecting distress type varies from radio type, some you must use the menu to select then press the red button.

regards
Old 16 April 2012, 15:30   #73
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Red Button every time.

You can have a nice old chin-wag afterwards, if you have the time...

It's a MAYDAY, so already we're in a life threatening situation (with the possible exception of "designated" life threatening situations, e.g. MOB or My Wife is having an Episode scenarios). Assume someone's life is threatened - so this tends to be imminent or you'd have time to start a Focus Group to work out the core issues involved...

Red Button
Old 16 April 2012, 16:11   #74
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
My Wife is having an Episode scenarios
Interesting, I don't remember seeing that as an option on my set. Is that a special Icom model adapted for the EU market? M505(PMT)
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:14   #75

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Hmmm, some convincing replies. Hope I don't find myself needing to decide.
Old 17 April 2012, 02:01   #76

Ok as some of you may ( or may not) know from my intro thread in the new members section I am a watch officer at Solent Coastguard. In the scenario described the first thing is ALWAYS DSC. You can send a designated DSC distress with the type set to fire ( I cannot recommend enough sitting with the manual and spending an hour or 2 learning how your equipment works so it becomes second nature). Even if you then jump overboard I will know you need help, your on fire ( so I would start thinking you may abandon) who you are and everything else I need to rescue you. We will also start calling you on channel 16 If you don't make your mayday broadcast so this is where other vessel are alerted that don't have DSC.

Personally I would always carry a waterproof handheld VHF as well as the fixed unit in an ideal world. This then gives you the option of calling mayday from the water if you don't manage it after sending your DSC. The Coastguard in the Uk continue to monitor Channel 16 as well as DSC but as said the advantage of DSC is you give me all the info I need in 5-10 seconds and it is clear. A mayday broadcast can take a lot longer and other stations can over speak you.

Hope that helps.
Old 17 April 2012, 05:55   #77

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_typeR View Post
Ok as some of you may ( or may not) know from my intro thread in the new members section I am a watch officer at Solent Coastguard.

Hope that helps.

Does the coastguard have a script that they use for I/C Mayday and Pan Pan calls. That could be available to the public. Thinking of training here.
Old 17 April 2012, 06:18   #78

There is a large sticker that is available which you can write the vessels name call sign and MMSI number on and gives you a formatted mayday that can be broadcast. At the Moment i cant find the link to order it but when i do i will post a link Unfortunately as far as I am aware there is not anything for a pan pan but really that is what the VHF SRC course is for.

As for a script that we use in receiving distress urgency or safety calls it is more of an aide memoir built into our systems. All of the staff in the rescue centres undertake at least a years training with a number of exams at the end part of which is handling distress, urgency and safety communications.
Old 17 April 2012, 06:25   #79

Addition to my above. If you look here http://mca.ecgroup.net/Publications/...ion%C2%A0.aspx the Third item down is the sticker. Hope that helps.
Old 17 April 2012, 06:45   #80

Town: London, Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_typeR View Post
Addition to my above. If you look here Navigation and communication*: Publications - MCA the Third item down is the sticker. Hope that helps.
Its a real shame they don't offer these as a PDF .. would save you the postage too!