Old 16 August 2017, 16:29   #1

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
VHF Charging in Console

I've hatched a possibly silly plan to see if I can mount the charging cradles for my 2 standard horizon handhelds in the console. I have 12v charging adaptors and my plan would be to run 2 dedicated 12v sockets for them and leave the adaptors permanently in place in a sealed unit of some kind. The cradles would be fitted inside a (hopefully) dry console with retaining bungee/straps for the handhelds. Wiring would be post-isolator so they would charge underway and/or off one of the batteries.

Has anyone either done this on a RIB, tried it, of have any thoughts of any way it could all go wrong...
Old 17 August 2017, 11:00   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have a 12V accessory socket on my boat that the h/held GPS permanently charges from. It is not the most robust connection, so easily knocked etc. it contains a 12-3.5(?)V step down which is why I use it - do your handhelds need similar - as it would be nicer to miss the accessory socket completely (even if they don't come out, connections corrode over time etc).
Old 17 August 2017, 11:20   #3

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I also have a 12v accessory socket in my jockey console, under the seat which is pretty dry. I have an in car USB adapter for charging the handheld, phone etc., can charge my jump start power pack from it and power a spot light. It also acts as a handy plug in for my battery maintenance charger when the boat is out of the water. The socket is a Marinco one and is very robust and suited to marine use.

Phil
Old 17 August 2017, 12:11   #4

Town: Cardiff
If like mine your standards charge from 12V then you can hardwire them.

I guess the 12V Cig lighter is good if you do need to charge other items but a hardwired connection to a fuse block would be less likely to fail.

Something like this Standard Blade Fuse Box With LEDs - 4 Way | 12 Volt Planet would give you the abality to hardwire the 2 charger bases and expand if needed and add 12v / 24v Twin USB Power Socket and Cigar Lighter | 12 Volt Planet so you can charge phones and other devices
Old 17 August 2017, 12:38   #5

RIBase
Unfortunately the charger output is 10.5v for a 7.4v battery so I'm not sure they would like being hardwired to a battery that is potentially 13v (although they might be fine). I already have the 12v socket in a dual unit with some USB outputs as well.

I might be inclined to do a dedicated socket eventually with soldered connections.
Old 21 August 2017, 21:02   #6

Checked the base of my charger and it's rated 12-16v input and 8.4v output and another was 12-16 input 7.4 output these are both SH bases
Old 22 August 2017, 01:16   #7

RIBase
Thanks - missed that incredibly hard to read little engraving on the charger cradle!
Old 31 October 2017, 12:25   #8

MMSI: 235899980
Hi Andy, unless you can keep it dry and moisture free, you will have problems. We had an ICOM one hardwired into a waterproof locker, on a declared facility Lifeboat with heated cabinets, albeit the boat was kept afloat. It was a constant problem. I’d charge them ashore and take them with you, and spare battery if you want belts and braces.
Old 31 October 2017, 12:57   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
Hi Andy, unless you can keep it dry and moisture free, you will have problems. We had an ICOM one hardwired into a waterproof locker, on a declared facility Lifeboat with heated cabinets, albeit the boat was kept afloat. It was a constant problem. I’d charge them ashore and take them with you, and spare battery if you want belts and braces.
I'll second that. If you can use a full battery on a handheld over a weekend, you'll be annoying everyone around you with the amount you're talking

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 18:54   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Unless it's a DSC handheld in which case you'll be lucky to get a whole day out of a set of batteries.
Old 31 October 2017, 22:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Unless it's a DSC handheld in which case you'll be lucky to get a whole day out of a set of batteries.
Or a DSC one with a flashy light, then in good spray it'll flash itself flat in a couple of hours..... annoying you can't turn that feature off but can turn the gps off........