HERE

Brian
Old 08 June 2009, 19:13   #2

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Doesn't effect me - but thanks for posting. It's the sort of thing you'd not hear about elsewhere.....
Old 09 June 2009, 17:53   #3

Town: London
Make: Avon Adventure 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Thank you very much for that as I was just about to order one of those!
Old 24 July 2009, 10:10   #4

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Humper
Make: Osprey
Engine: Ob, petrol, 225 hp
Thanks for this important info! Will switch to Magellan BlueNav XL3

Thanks a lot for posting this info!

I was just looking for a new chart plotting unit from Garmin and I have been looking at a few units (the nuvi 500/550 and GPSMAP 276c and smaller units like Colorado 400C, Oregon 400 or 60CSX ) but your post put me off and now I´ve ordered a Magellan Triton 2000 to try it out (I also looked at Triton 400/500/1500 and eXplorist XL as well as the larger screen CrossoverGPS models). I´m a bit curios about their charts (MapSend BlueNav XL3), which are meant to be of quite good Navionics quality, has anybody here got experience of using these charts in the UK?
They seem to be reasonably cheap, for example £179 for all of the Channel as well as the complete coastline from Hamburg to Brest! Check this link: www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3076.html
and compare with the equivalent Garmin chart:
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...-eu705l/10329/
They can also be found on Ebay.co.uk sometimes. (just saw one for £30!!!)
Now- when the price is only £179 for this huge area of detailed charts, one would wonder about the quality and detail- does anybody have any info on this? (I wonder especially if there is any difference to Garmin charts regarding level of detail, but not regarding all the "silly functions" that Garmin has crammed into the löatest generation, such as aerial viewa, etc, etc... When it comes to accuracy, I would guess that they can do no worse than Garmin, right now

(I was set on buying Bluechart, since many people praise the Garmin Bluecharts, but what´s the point if they don´t show the right depths??? Also I don´t like their rules regarding having to send in the microSD-card to Garmin within 30 days of purchase, to then, in the future sometime, receive a replacement card... So: I should pay £220 for a card (VEU705L) and then send it in to Garmin, to later (sometimes this year, I suppose..?) receive a useable card? Doesn´t sound so great to me!)

Well- sorry that this post became so huge! But, please, if anyone has experience of the BlueNav XL3 charts in the UK, or if anyone has seen any tests, comparing with Bluecharts, then I´d be grateful for some info!
Old 24 July 2009, 12:24   #5

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Sailorboy

Can your Magellan unit read actual Navionics carts? I use the Navionics charts in my Raymarine and Geonav plotters and they are excellent.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:49   #6

Length: no boat
Test before buying hardware

Hi, there. If you want to test the Navionics charts before you buy the Magellan Triton, and you have an iPhone, or know someone who has it, you could download the Navionics Mobile App.
But I definitely confirm that Magellan uses Navionics charts (only names them differently).

Alessandra