Old 27 September 2009, 19:23   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Unusual GPS/Garmin date problem

Came back to my drying harbour mooring this morning after a good trip back from Alderney, only to find the tide a little lower than expected. Thought I'd cocked up again on the tide times so checked the tide curve on my plotter (Garmin GPSMap 3006C) which showed us as 2hr after high and about 1/4 m too little water.

I could have sworn we were still meant to be on a rising tide, but cursed and swore none-the-less and headed off to a different harbour. It was only when I looked again that I realised the Garmin was showing the date as 11 Feb 1990.

Now I assumed this was part of the Almanac info downloaded from the satelites and couldn't possibly be wrong or altered, and I couldn't find a menu to adjust it. Just to check the satelites I dug out my handheld from the grab bag, and that was fine with the correct date and also showed that we'd got home too early and the tide was still rising! Gave it half an hour and we were back on the buoy.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this happen?
Old 27 September 2009, 22:57   #2

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
How old is the unit?? not very would be my guess.
Have you updated to the latest version software, download from Garmin website as there are a few bugs associated with GPS dates
Old 28 September 2009, 07:47   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
I noticed the same problem ten days ago on my Garmin 2106 which is also showing 11 Feb 1990. There is a software download available on the Garmin website issued on 20 Jul 2009 - but how am I supposed to download it to the GPS without the dedicated Garmin card reader? Or do I have to splash out around £50.00 to get the reader?
Old 28 September 2009, 08:08   #4

Thanks for your comments gentlemen. I'm pretty certain I'm running the latest software, I check regularly, but I'll have another look.

With regard to splashing out on a card reader, I have one, so could always download for you and put on a card if you send me a blank card. Alternatively, give Garmin a call. They were very helpful a year or two ago when I had difficulty updating an old plotter of mine, and they sent me a blank card foc.
Old 28 September 2009, 15:45   #5

That's a very kind offer. I had been thinking about getting a reader anyway in order to be able to passage plan on the PC at home and had made enquiries at the Boat Show, although nobody seemed to have a reader in stock. They look to be available on the internet, however. Depending on how long the order time is, I may take you up on your offer. If I can find it, I think I got a blank card with the GPS (having never been able to use it, I'm not sure I will be able find it nearly three years down the line!). I'll let you know how I get on.

Incidentally, the latest software for the 3006C would also appear to have been issued on 20 July 2009 (version 5.60).

David
Old 28 September 2009, 19:13   #6

Town: Fareham
When I had a problem with my garmin, they sent me a free upgrade in card form though the post and the plotter was 3 years out of warantee.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 20:38   #7

Think I may have found the culprit. Not so much the plotter software as the aerial.

Quote from Garmin update site for GPS 17N:-

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70: 31 Aug 2009

* Modified proprietary binary output data format to fix incorrect date/time calculation on some Garmin marine products.
Old 28 September 2009, 20:45   #8
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
I had the same problem on my 4008 a couple of weeks ago. Did a trawl on the Garmin website and in the relevant help section (e.g. How do I get the date back the date on my 4008....) and found a fix that worked. May be worth a go.
Old 29 September 2009, 08:43   #9

The question now, is does the Jun 09 plotter update include the latest aug 09 aerial update. It specifies it includes updates for all peripherals, but surely not ones that post date the release date?

If not, it looks like I'll have to mess about with the laptop onboard to update the aerial directly via a serial connection. A real PITA

Hmmm just found this on Garmins website:-

Question: How do I change the date and time if displaying incorrectly on a GPSMAP 21xx, 22xx, 3xxx, 4xxx or 5xxx series device?

Answer:
If the date displayed on the GPSMAP 21xx, 22xx, 3xxx, 4xxx or 5xxx series is displaying December 31, 1989 or January 1, 1990, the GPS source setting will need to be changed.

Correcting the Date issue for the GPSMap 3xxx/22xx/21xx series:

In order to correct the Date issue, the Serial GPS Mode must be changed from Garmin to NMEA.

Power the unit on
Press Enter to advance to the Map screen
Press and hold the ADJ/Menu button for 1 second to go to the Main Menu
Highlight Setup
Highlight the Source option
Press Enter
Highlight NMEA
Press Enter
Highlight Setup
Highlight Info
Old 10 October 2009, 18:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
The question now, is does the Jun 09 plotter update include the latest aug 09 aerial update. It specifies it includes updates for all peripherals, but surely not ones that post date the release date?
I can now answer this conundrum. The June 09 plotter update does include the Aug 09 update for the attached aerial. The problem is now solved.
Old 11 October 2009, 09:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I can now answer this conundrum. The June 09 plotter update does include the Aug 09 update for the attached aerial. The problem is now solved.
For those that are unable to update the software (no card reader!), the fix offered by Garmin (quoted accurately by Erin above) isn't quite correct. It should be:

Power the unit on
Press Enter to advance to the Map screen
Press and hold the ADJ/Menu button for 1 second to go to the Main Menu
Go to the GPS tab (at the top of the list in the left hand column)
Highlight Setup within the GPS tab
Highlight the Source option which will show 'Garmin'
Press Enter
Highlight 'NMEA' to change from 'Garmin'
Press Enter
The screen will go blank. Repower the unit which should now run with the correct date

The differences are small but the Main Menu also includes a separate Setup tab from which the subsequent instructions above do not make sense. The problem with my set cured as of yesterday.
Old 11 October 2009, 11:25   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I noticed the same problem ten days ago on my Garmin 2106 which is also showing 11 Feb 1990. There is a software download available on the Garmin website issued on 20 Jul 2009 - but how am I supposed to download it to the GPS without the dedicated Garmin card reader? Or do I have to splash out around £50.00 to get the reader?
I have a garmin card reader. If anyone want to send me a card I can save the updates on to it for them.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 19:20   #13

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
Just sorted this on a customers boat, the GPS antenna has old software in it and needs to be updated via whatever method your specific Garmin does it by. I saw the fault showing as a duff date/time on a McMurdo Navtex.