Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 November 2004, 07:22   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: .
Boat name: .
Make: .
Length: no boat
Engine: .
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
duplication

Asked navionics direct this question( do not panic Bruce no names or forums mentioned ) the response in capital letters is Copy or reproduce and you will face prosecution !!!

I guess this means they want you to buy additional cards for each unit.

We looked at this in detail last night and for experimental purposes only successfully copied a chart. Files essential for the process need a helping hand to go accross but hey we are no einsteins as you say in the Uk and it took us all of 10 mins with minimal PC experience. There is scope for the dishonest to make fortunes here.............. :cool

orders please gents
__________________

__________________
verado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2004, 08:01   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 859
Backup

Since the process of moving the MMC card between two plotters in Solent chop is an exercise fraught with risk, and I have every reason to suppose I might damage the card, I would like to make a backup on my home PC in case of problems. Could anyone (Verado?) PM me with any hints about how to be sure I have made a complete back-up copy?

Many thanks

Bruce
__________________

__________________
brucehawsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2004, 19:26   #13
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 119
Quote:
so I have a backup - essentially a repeat - of the map on my small screen in easy sight of the helm, with the big map for the navvigator - it is hard to argue that is a breach and it certainly seems unprosecutable....
That would not be a backup of the software.

If both were in use at the same time it would be very easy to argue that it is a breach of copyright & therefore would be prosecutable, but unless the copyright owner wanted to make an example of you, it is unlikely they would prosecute.

It would depend upon what the license says, but in general there are 2 types of software license:

1, The media can be copied only as a backup but not used.

2, The software can be installed on 2 (or more computers) provided that the computers belong to the same person & are not used at the same time ie a desktop & notebook. This is often know as a Borland license.

The 'shrinkwrap' license that covers most software has never been tested in an English court, the outcome of any test case would be extremely difficult to predict & the big software companies don't want to take the risk of a decision going against them.
__________________
Nick Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 05:25   #14
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Interesting site, wonder if the unlock codes are still valid ?

Pete

< Edit: link removed. JK >
__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 06:25   #15
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 119
Software theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Interesting site, wonder if the unlock codes are still valid ?

Pete
Pete,

As you appear to condone software theft, I assume you wouldn't object if someone posted the codes to your burglar alarm systems or 'borrowed' your RIB on the basis that they had already paid for one, but found for some reason they need two, one day.

Bruce,

Just to make it clear, did you buy or steal the second display ?
__________________
Nick Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 06:33   #16
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson
Pete,

As you appear to condone software theft, ?
Nick, not at all, I bought mine, however think software charts are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson
Bruce, Just to make it clear, did you buy or steal the second display ?
Steady



Pete
__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 07:00   #17
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
however think software charts are expensive.
Pete,

So are RIBS, Rolls-Royce cars, etc, but that doesn't mean I can post details on how to steal them.

There are a number of reasons why software charts are expensive, apart from being bloody time consuming & therefore expensive to produce, there is a limited market, HMHO demand a LARGE royalty on every chart sold & remember they are for boaters who can afford it.
__________________
Nick Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 09:43   #18
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Okay, so I take it there's no chance of a cheap CD for my Garmin then ?
__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2004, 10:42   #19
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Okay, so I take it there's no chance of a cheap CD for my Garmin then ?
Probably, try Tottenham Court Road
__________________
Nick Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2007, 22:41   #20
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
navionics

Ok...let me get this straight...if you found a way to copy cards please let me know how!!!!paid 400 dollars canadian for this map for the eastern great lakes...do not want to spend another for my portable

Have mapcreate topo and non topo...familiar with making maps but cant get this one to work in the units when i copy

Help
__________________

__________________
mojoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.