Old 05 August 2008, 13:10   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Trim Gauge

Hi, I am in the middle of Fitting my 50hp. Merc with power T&T. It's a 4 cylinder Brown band, from about 1985, was hand start until a few years ago. I decided I want electric start but did not want to get rid of the Merc, it's such a good engine, I managed to electrify it using second hand parts from a scrapper. Well now I am adding power t&t, I have got hold of one from a 70hp 3 cylinder Merc from about 1993. It's the twin trim cylinder with One tilt cylinder type, Three wires coming from the pump motor. The transom bracket is far to big but I have worked out a way to make it fit, I have employed a local engineering shop to make some alterations. I would also like to add a trim gauge so I know the position of the Merc at any given time. The trouble is I dont know how to, Do I need some sort of sensor? or is there one already fitted, Can anyone please help in any way, and has anyone got a gauge they can sell me. Many thanks,
Old 05 August 2008, 15:16   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
to be totally honest, i would say its more hastle that its worth on a 4m boat, you should easily feel where the trim is at by the way the boat handles.

older motors did not have a sender as standard as i recall, if it has the fitment you could bolt on a sender and buy a gauge easy enough. here is one if you are quick http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=002

racers prefer a mechanical gauge, basicly a spring loaded stick if you understand what i am describing!