Old 20 February 2013, 14:57   #1

Length: 7m +
Transom Mounted Transducers

Im looking at installing a new chart plotter and was thinking about also upgrading my depth sounder if worth it.

My quick question is does anyone using a transom mounted transducer not suffer with the depth reading cutting out above certain speeds. Mine currently drops out when I reach about 20knots plus and in some weather conditions, so if they are all prone to this I will stick with my current depth sounder set-up and just buy a new chartplotter to replace my old plotter that I can no longer get up to date maps for. If there is a great transom mounted depth sounder set up that some people use and it works then I will consider changing to it.

Its not a major problem as I do look at my charts and anywhere near cliffs or beaches etc im usulaly going at a snail pace so not an issue as reading is ok, but you know whats it like when you rushing a long, an accurate and constant depth reading is a comfort factor.
Old 20 February 2013, 15:22   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It's a matter of playing with depth and location until you get it in a place and orientation that works.

I've got a Lowrance 525; it reads depth and contour at WOT (around 40mph), though with reduced detail (as far as I know that's normal.)

Most installation manuals say to initially locate the transducer centerline even with the hull; I think mine is a tad higher than that. Really depends on the boat you've got it on, as some may run more bow up or down at cruise than another does.

jky
Old 20 February 2013, 15:26   #3

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Mine works pretty much at all speeds - tho' obviously not when I'm airborne! It does take a little trial & error to get the setup just right I guess will depend on the hull shape of the boat in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	76854  
Old 20 February 2013, 19:27   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
My garmin fishfinder works well at all speeds unless its dirty.

Mounted about halfway between centre and chine away from sprayrails.
Quite deep - possibly 20mm below hull surface. Only downside is it does kick up quite a bit of spray.
Old 20 February 2013, 19:32   #5

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Mine works pretty much at all speeds - tho' obviously not when I'm airborne! It does take a little trial & error to get the setup just right I guess will depend on the hull shape of the boat in question.
Mine is fitted in the exact same place as yours but I do find that it flicks up now and then and its as tight as i can get it.
Old 20 February 2013, 19:41   #6

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Mine is fitted in the exact same place as yours but I do find that it flicks up now and then and its as tight as i can get it.
Ours is in a similar spot and is rubbish especially the depth gage
Old 20 February 2013, 19:50   #7

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Can you glue the sender into the hull? It's gets it off the transom and will generally give much better results..

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2013, 21:57   #8

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Engine: mariner 125hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Can you glue the sender into the hull? It's gets it off the transom and will generally give much better results..
This was surggested to me when i broke the mounting lugs off my garmin,belive as long as their are no bubles in the glue they work well.will be trying it myself in the next few weeks
Old 22 February 2013, 10:35   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
+1 for longjohn's setup. (WRT the "chines"). As per everyone else, It took a bit of tweaking!

I Sikaflex-ed a 1/2" wooden block painted in International Paints' "rescue orange" (just to blend it in!) onto the hull, and had to re- drill it three times before I got the optimal setup. I am also about to fit a "spray hood" to the wooden block as the "Belagio effect" has resulted in a spray plume that jetski drivers are envious of!

Works fine up to 30 knots. It might work above that speed, but I'll need a bigger engine to find out!
Old 22 February 2013, 13:50   #10

I think the concensus opinion is that transom mounted transducers (depth guage) are a bit of a hit or a miss, they need fine tuning and depending upon location and make get mixed results from people.

Generally Hull mounted are a better option.

I will play around with tweaking the position of the transom mount I have and will also investigate the possibility of having a hull one fitted when I am about to upgrade my chart plotter, if feasable I will add a depth guage capability to the new plotter with a hull transducer and keep my old plotter fitted with the existing transom mounted transducer. That way I will have a complete back up system and the option to full screen both plotter and depth guage .
Old 22 February 2013, 14:49   #11

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Just take your transom mounted unit and epoxy it to the bottom of the hull. I've done two this way, excellent results at all speeds. Saves your transom from future water ingress as well.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:52   #12

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
I took the advice from a previous thread, and silicon'ed the transducer into the bilge well at near the bilge pump.

I built up a dam from modelling clay, and filled it with a good thick layer, and made sure the ransducer was horizontal as possible, and no air bubbles were in the silicon, and left it to set.

If it was not right I could have redone it, but it was fine.

It gives a good reading, even at near WOT.

When I got the Rib the transducer was fixed half way up the transom, so over 5 knots it didnt work................
Old 22 February 2013, 23:52   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
When I got the Rib the transducer was fixed half way up the transom, so over 5 knots it didnt work................
I could see that not working.

jky
Old 23 February 2013, 20:49   #14

Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I think the concensus opinion is that transom mounted transducers (depth guage) are a bit of a hit or a miss, they need fine tuning and depending upon location and make get mixed results from people.

Generally Hull mounted are a better option.

I will play around with tweaking the position of the transom mount I have and will also investigate the possibility of having a hull one fitted when I am about to upgrade my chart plotter, if feasable I will add a depth guage capability to the new plotter with a hull transducer and keep my old plotter fitted with the existing transom mounted transducer. That way I will have a complete back up system and the option to full screen both plotter and depth guage .
The secret is to get the cleanest water flow over the transducer, with the least turbulance. In my old boat i had to move it three times to get best results. Even filled a very tiny gap between transducer and hull with silicone, which improved results - slightly
Old 23 February 2013, 22:45   #15

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
As an experiment-if you've got a drain well at the transom, so there is a single layer of grp between the water and the transducer, put your transducer in it and throw a bucket of water in there with it. Just lodge the transducer in place with a bag of sand or sommat if neccesary although I've never found that required and see how it works. It should work fine even at speed-and one of my fast fishing boats ran like that for years-just launched and chucked a bit of water in each time. If it works dry it all out and squeeze a dollop of silicon into the allocated place, push the transducer hard down into it with a bit of a twist to get rid of air bubbles amd let it cure. It'll be fine-even though the books will say don't use silicon it works with no problems and can easily be removed if you decide differently later.
Old 23 February 2013, 23:01   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The Raymarine installation manual for in hull txrs suggests just sticking them in a plastic bag of water & positioning them in the hull until you find the best echo. Then place the txr on a bed of KY jelly to confirm the positioning,if that works ok, epoxy in place.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2013, 20:00   #17

Boat name: Barfly
Length: 8m +
I have a through hull system and stepped hull

I can say, this works till 15kn... ;-)