just thought I'd let you know the findings of a fishfinder transducer swap I tested today.
I've been a little dissapointed with the performance of the transom mounted transducer I fitted when I upgraded my electronics earlier in the year.
The old Garmin one was fine at moderate speeds, and only ever flipped up once when the RIB was beached.
The new Airmar(P66) one I fitted with my Raymarine digital FF flipped up on most trips and was very inconsistant at speed, although of course when it worked the digital FF was great.
I considered glueing the P66 inside the hull as others have done, but got the chance to do it properly with a P79 in hull jobbie.
Friday afternoon I bonded the housing into the hull right at the stern in the small bilge well I have, then Saturday I filled it with Castor oil and added the transducer itself.
Whilst mucking about in the harbour this morning before the cruise I took some soundings with the P66 the swapped the DSM connection over to the P79.
I got almost exactly the same depth recorded, and am very pleased to report that I did not loose the signal at all during the whole trip to Yarmouth and back. even at over 40 knots. There also didn't appear to be any differance in the quality of the data.
When I recovered the RIB at the Camber this evening, the P66 was of course pointing skyward despite the calm seas we had today.
Never again will I fit a Transom mount transducer or worry about the loss of data quality by shooting through the hull.
All I need to do now is remove the P66 and make good the mounting holes.
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club