Old 18 September 2012, 00:26   #11
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
seafarer transducers were recommended to be in an oil filled tube in the good old days. It was never neccesary as we found when the oil ran out and we put water in instead.

Epoxied in and one good tap to remove and replace if needed
Fine. I've epoxied them myself in the early days. The issue I had was the assertion that silicon would basically cock it up.
Each to their own. On my fishing boats transducer just sat loose in the well and we threw a bucket of water in there each trip. Worked fine. Not neat and tidy but it did the job. A good bodge job

It wont work if there is a void, the sounder needs to be against a surface with the sea touching the other side of the surface. The original pic was a humber, no void least not intentionally-an unintentional bubble in the construction would be an unlucky problem.

Dave M
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 03:44   #12
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
well thats theory. And its what the manuals say but:
I dont do theory !!
From far too many years of time spent boating globally.
I'm giving you the real world experience.
It works absolutely fine. Less messy and much more easily removed esp if you make a !*!* up of it and leave an air bubble in or put it in what you find subsequently is an inconvenient place. Or you want to sell the boat and keep the sounder. Epoxy it and its there for ever.
All our boat angling club boats have been fixed like this for years with no problem, and they use their boats here and in Scotland and Ireland relying on the sounders for new fishing marks.
My training boat(s) have all been so fixed and the sounders still work faultlessly at full speed.
Amen, mine is siliconed inside the hull void now and works far better than the original "proper" through hull mount with funny antifreeze stuff in

The original photo is brilliant

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 06:47   #13
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
If you are unsure if an area inside the hull is suitable for mounting a transducer you can try putting it in a bag of water and move it about the hull to find the best position/signal. Once found you can use the usual methods of fixing it in place.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 11:34   #14
Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
I siliconed mine into the bilge, it worked fine.
It also has the advantage that if you want to move it, you are less likely to damage it when getting it out.

nik is offline   Reply With Quote