Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Transducer?

Hi guys, I have a garmin 750s plotter with a transom mounted transducer
Transducer bracket has burst and the rest of the bits were fired away to the blue yonder!!
Can anybody tell me which transom mounted transducer I should use to connect direct to the 750s or would I be better with one fitted to the inside of the hull in the engine bay
I would prefer to use a garmin product unless anyone knows of a better that will connect direct to the unit
Old 04 September 2012, 07:53   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMac View Post
Hi guys, I have a garmin 750s plotter with a transom mounted transducer
Transducer bracket has burst and the rest of the bits were fired away to the blue yonder!!
Can anybody tell me which transom mounted transducer I should use to connect direct to the 750s or would I be better with one fitted to the inside of the hull in the engine bay
I would prefer to use a garmin product unless anyone knows of a better that will connect direct to the unit
It's likely that the transducer was an Airmar as most manufacturers buy them in from Airmar & re-badge them. If done properly, through hull transducers generally give better results than transom mounted. You need good solid GRP between transducer & water, without any voids, foam, wood etc. The transducer needs fitting to a part of the hull that has smooth un-aerated water flow along it at speed. It's worth playing around with different mounting positions (ooerr missus) to get the best results. Mine is epoxied into the hull & I get a good clear return at all speeds upto 30kn.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote