Old 30 November 2015, 20:17   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Tachometer/Engine hours on an outboard

I've just bought myself a new SIB + 20HP outboard and have been contemplating the merits of buying a tachometer/hours meter.

Are these useful beyond doing what they say on the tin?

For example, I've read various threads about people having outboards (new even) that for whatever reason don't rev beyond 3.5k when clearly max power is more likely around 5.5k... I'd not even know this without a rev counter.

But, is that likely... does this £50 bit of kit prove itself... or is this just me looking for shiny bits to add to my new boat?

This kind of thing...
Old 30 November 2015, 20:36   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Are these useful beyond doing what they say on the tin?

For example, I've read various threads about people having outboards (new even) that for whatever reason don't rev beyond 3.5k when clearly max power is more likely around 5.5k... I'd not even know this without a rev counter.
Many people manage just fine without a tacho on a SIB. You would know you had a problem as 3.5k would get you a lot less speed than you might expect! However if you do need to swap props around then a tacho is a useful tool which will stop you working blind. The hours meter is even less essential, as its easy to keep a little paper (or electronic) log if you are that concerned.

Would I spend £50 on one? Not till I had everything else I needed. My memory was tiny-tachs were about 1/2 that online but I might be wrong.
Old 30 November 2015, 21:21   #3

You'll get a tiny tach clone for under £10. (LCD Digital Engine Tach Tachometer Hour Meter Gauge for Racing Motorcycle UK | eBay )

As Poly says you can use it for revs for prop checks, but I'd hope there is a standard prop known for your engine and boat combo as its a fairly standard bit of kit.
Its other use is knowing how long you have had the engine on to know when service due. For people doing 12 hour passages a day thats probably dead easy at the end of the day you add 12 hrs to the previous number. For people doing lots of stop start it becomes much harder to tot up. You may have been on the water 8 hours but used engine 4. or 2 or 8...
Old 01 December 2015, 07:24   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You'll get a tiny tach clone for under £10. (LCD Digital Engine Tach Tachometer Hour Meter Gauge for Racing Motorcycle UK | eBay )

As Poly says you can use it for revs for prop checks, but I'd hope there is a standard prop known for your engine and boat combo as its a fairly standard bit of kit.
Its other use is knowing how long you have had the engine on to know when service due. For people doing 12 hour passages a day thats probably dead easy at the end of the day you add 12 hrs to the previous number. For people doing lots of stop start it becomes much harder to tot up. You may have been on the water 8 hours but used engine 4. or 2 or 8...

plus one got mine off ebay stuck it on the tiller not enough cable to go anywhere else.
Old 01 December 2015, 08:04   #5

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Thanks for link... Bought one for a tenner
Old 01 December 2015, 09:33   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Thanks for link... Bought one for a tenner
that honda one a rip off same as mine but £40 dearer for the name on it!