Old 04 December 2007, 15:34   #1

Town: Italy
Boat name: Shark
Make: Zar Formenti 61
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df175
suzuki ep-20 interface

I've a Suzuki df175 tk7 (2007).
I've installed the gauge suzuki digital gauge and the ep-20 interface.
I've setup the correct engine on the gauge.
The problem is that the fuel flow is not accurate. At idle it says 4 gph and at WOT is says 30 gph. It is clearly wrong.

There is someone that have installed the ep-20 interface on suzuki engine?
It work ok and it is accurate for Injected fuel?
The tank calibration is only for the level on the tank or is for Injected fuel too?
Old 05 December 2007, 18:43   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I bought one of these to fit to my last boat, but never got around to installing it. I wouldn't think there is any calibration you can do. It must rely on the engine ecu to provide the fuel flow data. Are you sure it is gallons per hour and not litre per hour.
Old 05 December 2007, 19:16   #3

I've already checked. In liters at wot are 99 liters per hour

This is my configuration:

I've found the lowrance manual and in it i've read that is possible to calibrate the ep20. In the ep20 suzuki manual and in the suzuki gauge manual it says nothing about the calibration of ep20
http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowra...222_111506.pdf

I have readen some people that have installed this kind of interface but none that have to calibrate it...
Old 05 December 2007, 19:41   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Don't think you calibrate the sensor; just the display head thingie.

Should be the same as the Lowrance EP-10/LMF-200/400 by appearance.

You can download manual from Lowrance.com.

jky
Old 19 December 2007, 10:27   #5

I've contacted Lowrance and they have told me that there are some difference with new suzuki engines. They send me the new firmware for the ep20.
In the next week i'll try to find a friend or a shop that can do the update for my ep20 because i cant do with my lmf400...

Lowrance wrote me:
Quote:
After doing some research on this problem, and talking to Suzuki, we have discovered that there were some other changes that were made in the engines that we were not made aware of. Suzuki made some changes in the way that the fuel flow information is outputted, and due to these changes the fuel flow information is going to read extremely high. We have had our engineers re-write the software for the fuel flow and we have attached the update files to this email.

In order to run this update yourself you will need a Lowrance unit attached to the network that has a memory card slot in the unit. If you do not have one on the boat, then if you can find a friend that has one you can do a temporary connection into the network so that you can run the update to the EP-20 sensor. If you are unable to find someone with a unit that you can use, you can try with a local dealer. If unable to find any way of updating the software locally then you would need to send the sensor to us either direct or through your local dealer so that we can update it for you.

To run the update, copy and paste the file to a blank MMC/SD card, insert the card into the card reader of the Lowrance unit and press MENU, MENU, select BROWSE FILES and press ENT. Highlight the .luf file and press ENT, select Update and let it run. Once the update has run all fuel flow should read normally.
Old 19 December 2007, 11:51   #6

That's interesting. So that means the EP20 can be updated. I would have thought it would have been the multi function display that did the calculation on fuel use. If it is successful, let us know because I might need to do this to my EP20.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
That's interesting. So that means the EP20 can be updated. I would have thought it would have been the multi function display that did the calculation on fuel use. If it is successful, let us know because I might need to do this to my EP20.
I can't update now the ep20 interface because i don't have a lowrance gps with cf o sd slot. I have only the lmf400 gauge.
I must find a friend or a shop that can do the update for me.
If you want the update i can forward you the lowrance email with the new firmware.
Old 19 December 2007, 18:23   #8

I've sent you a pm with my email address, thanks
Old 07 March 2008, 12:55   #9

This is an official communicate:
http://primus.lowrance.com/support/r...e=5000#Goto705
Old 08 March 2008, 17:11   #10

Before I connect my EP-20 to my new engine (engine on order) and LMF-400 I tried connecting the ep-20 to a lowrance chartplotter to use the card reader to update the software. However, the chartplotter can't 'see' the ep-20 so won't allow me to do an update. Any thoughts? Did you get yours updated?
Old 11 March 2008, 14:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Before I connect my EP-20 to my new engine (engine on order) and LMF-400 I tried connecting the ep-20 to a lowrance chartplotter to use the card reader to update the software. However, the chartplotter can't 'see' the ep-20 so won't allow me to do an update. Any thoughts? Did you get yours updated?
Same problem. I cant update the interface for the same problem. I have bring it to lowrace assistance but without the engine they are unable to update my interface.

I've read that for working ep20 neet to be plugged in the engine too and the engine switch key set to on.

If you dont plug the interface in the engine you cant see it on the nmea2000 bus.

Reading the lowrace artilce i think that the calibration wil do the same exactly thing of the update. Maibe the calibration is not accurate, but i think that the calibration will set the same parameter that update will set.
Old 27 March 2008, 23:33   #12
gpl

Town: London
Make: BSK Skipper
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi DF175
I have been using the EP-10 fuel flow module with my DF175, hooked up to a Lowrance LCX 110 , which also gives lt/nm values with excellent results for the last 2 years. I also installed the EP 20 in the summer, but it was a disappointment because it only displays lt/hr rather than lt/nm , but more importantly does not show engine temperature, oil pressure or water intake pressure data which was my main expectation. Digital RPM and trim not really worth the trouble.
My advice : go for a EP-10
Old 24 June 2008, 09:06   #13

I've done the calibration 3 times with a portable gas tank and now the fuel reading is OK.
Old 23 August 2011, 21:47   #14

Just thought I'd update this post for anyone who does a search in the future. I managed to find an even newer firmware file on an Australian boat forum for the EP20 interface. It is v2.3 and has not only improved the accuracy of my fuel consumption (previously 9% out) but also now displays engine temperature on my gauge.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote