Old 21 July 2015, 09:57   #1

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
Strange VHF issue

i was chilling on the night on my cruiser last week with the VHF on channel 16/80 scan (Just being nosey to see if anything was going on)

i was walking back to my boat and heard the staff talking to a boat as he was coming down the fairway to the marina looking for a berth. by the time i reached my boat i could only hear the boats transmission and not the marinas??? i heard a few one way transmissions and then one last one saying thank you and that they will visit the office once berthed.

by now i was confused as to why i couldnt hear the marina transmission and only the boats.

i have not done a radio check for about 4 weeks so that will be next on the list when i am down there Sunday but is there a reason i would get this?

i thought i was on an incorrect channel at first but was defo on channel 80 so just a bit lost lol
Old 21 July 2015, 10:22   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Curious. If they were working 80 then you'd expect to hear the Marina and not the boat. Suggests they were working another channel, but which and why?

Maybe the marina staff were afloat/on the pontoons using a handheld and possibly on ch16 - you might have lost their TX under your squelch as they moved away.
Old 21 July 2015, 10:36   #3

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
that makes sense.

i will do a radio check when i am down there and will have a chat with the marina lads to see if i can get to the bottom of it.

i do have a new standard horizon DSC/VHF sitting in the garage ready to fit to my rib once its completed but can see it possibly having to go on the bayliner soon lol