Old 18 July 2003, 10:11   #1

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Speedo or GPS

I've just bought a Medline 1 480 with a Yam 70 on the tail. Unfortunately the instrumentation is somewhat lacking compared to my prevous Yachtline II 420 DL. The Med has a dual digital trim gauge and rev counter but no speedo. Should I, 1. Buy a speedo for £60.00 and utilise the Yam's built in transducer or 2. Buy a plotting GPS for £250 ish plus labour and use that as a speedo even though I'm only a costal day cruiser ? What are the pros / cons.

Further, when utilising the rev counter attached to the Yam 70 2 Stroke, what are the rev limits ?
Old 18 July 2003, 11:37   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Re: Speedo or GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
Should I, 1. Buy a speedo for £60.00 and utilise the Yam's built in transducer or 2. Buy a plotting GPS for £250 ish plus labour and use that as a speedo even though I'm only a costal day cruiser ? What are the pros / cons.

Further, when utilising the rev counter attached to the Yam 70 2 Stroke, what are the rev limits ?
My personal opinion is buy a GPS - far more accurate plus you can find out where you are etc - you should know anyway, but its an aid. The transducer speedo is pretty unreliable much above 18knts.