Old 11 June 2005, 17:05   #1

Town: sutton coldfield
Boat name: Blue Riband IV
Make: Avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: Honda 50 4stroke
Speedo GPS Help!

I want to know my speed and distance travelled on water. I don't want to drill holes in hull or run wires from transom. I have read GPS can give speed and am toying with purchase. Can anyone suggest best value waterproof GPS that will give speed, trip distance, easily visible readout if mounted on console etc. Or point me at earlier thread?
Old 11 June 2005, 17:17   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
A gps will give you speed and distance travelled as well as average speed and the ability to set way points, and then let the gps navigate you to them. Are you interested in a fixed gps or a hand held?

regards

Alex
Old 11 June 2005, 17:46   #3

Andy,
For security (ie remove when not in use) handheld would be better and usable for non-marine activity. For screen readability, and running off boat power, a fixed unit would be better. In ideal world handheld but mountable on console with repeater screen, (unless handheld unit GPS display is easily readable anyway?).
Richard.
Old 11 June 2005, 18:00   #4
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I would go for a fixed set - something like the Garmin GPS 126 would be good.

You can still remove most fixed sets from the boat, so security isn't a problem. You'll find a handheld GPS quite difficult to read when the boats bouncing all over the place. However, if you do go for a handheld you will still be able to mount it on the console and run it of the boats power.
Old 11 June 2005, 19:57   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think the guys are right but if you really want a totally portable solution then the gArfmin Etrek legend (mobile phone size) or the 276c would do you
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2005, 20:43   #6

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich
I want to know my speed and distance travelled on water. I don't want to drill holes in hull or run wires from transom. I have read GPS can give speed and am toying with purchase. Can anyone suggest best value waterproof GPS that will give speed, trip distance, easily visible readout if mounted on console etc. Or point me at earlier thread?
Get yourself the Raymarine Raychart 435i has a built in antenna so no need to run cable back to the A frame only fix the bracket to the top of the console and drill a hole for one cable. Remove from the bracket when not on the water
Old 11 June 2005, 22:10   #7

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
raymarine also do a handheld here

Ian
Old 12 June 2005, 02:27   #8

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
The Humminbird I have has a very clear easily readable display and when you are finished ,a push of a button and the unit slides of its mount!
waterproof and lots off accesories to expand the system. Gives speed/water temp/GPS/fishfinder/depth /and even barometer pressure and weather
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082 (Small).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	12583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00092 (Small) (2).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	12584  
Old 12 June 2005, 20:39   #9

Etrex WAAS Vista C feed back

Great tips, thanks - now I am narrowing down on Garmin Etrex which I can use for walking and car navigation (for the 49 weeks of year I am not boating) . There is a waterproof colour monitor (visible in sunlight) version called Vista C which is "WAAS enabled" claiming 3 metre accuracy in Europe + base maps for Europe-wide driving - motorways, A roads etc. Has anyone had one of these and can comment on quality? For about £275 it seems a bit pricy, but are you getting what you pay for, and with accurate route-finding by car in UK and Europe a real add-on benefit? Only other thing with Etrex, will I have to buy software on top for boating?
Old 12 June 2005, 21:58   #10

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Rich,

Go for the Garmin 126 or 128. Don't think you can use just one GPS for car and boat. GPS is good for boat but for your car you will need something more like Tom Tom.

Both jobs can not be served by just one unit. However if you just want speed and location then the 126 can do all that.
Old 17 June 2005, 09:37   #11

Town: Brittany
I'm sure you know, but a GPS receiver will only show 'Speed Over Ground' which will not necessarily be your speed through the water.
Old 17 June 2005, 11:05   #12

Town: Surrey
Garmin Etrex Vista C comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich
Great tips, thanks - now I am narrowing down on Garmin Etrex which I can use for walking and car navigation (for the 49 weeks of year I am not boating) . There is a waterproof colour monitor (visible in sunlight) version called Vista C which is "WAAS enabled" claiming 3 metre accuracy in Europe + base maps for Europe-wide driving - motorways, A roads etc. Has anyone had one of these and can comment on quality? For about £275 it seems a bit pricy, but are you getting what you pay for, and with accurate route-finding by car in UK and Europe a real add-on benefit? Only other thing with Etrex, will I have to buy software on top for boating?
I got one of these as a back up to my 188c fixed set. The screen is indeed small and I agree with the comments about visibility at speed if bouncing around. That said, it's a good bit of kit and if you want something for walking as well it's pretty well ideal. For marine use you'll need to get a bluechart atlantic cd and unlock code for one region (not a problem for me as I already had it - but not cheap!) and download it to the Vista C (which will take all the charts you can unlock if you go for the English Channel, including tides and port data).

For road use it does work after a fashion, but the basemap is very restricted and you can't use it to get door to door as it comes out of the box. Be careful if you buy more detailed road maps as not all will provide what you're looking for. I know someone who bought the metroguide europe cd, only to find it was too detailed for the navigation to work properly!!

If you do try this, you'll also find yourself redownloading your marine charts every time you want to take it out on the boat.

HTH

I must go down to the sea again......
jim68585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2005, 15:04   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 5.7m
Make: Robinson Marine
Engine: honda 4stroke 50hp
I spent a little bit of time looking into various handhelds a little while back, and decided on a Garmin Etrex for my 4m searider, as it did want i wanted and didn't cost the earth. I also bought a battery charger and re-chargable batteries.

It shows my speed in knots, average speed, total distance covered and has the ability to put in waypoints, and I am also able to download the journey to my laptop and see where I've been, and what speeds I've been. Of course it also works on land, and the guy in the office who is in the T.A., uses it for treking through deeper Wales.

The only time I found that I looked at the Etrex was obviously when you had to keep to a speed limit, and when you go flat out to see how fast you are going, although this is somethings a bit difficult as the screen is quite small, and you're bouncing around, and also when going from one waypoint to another.

Dave
Old 17 June 2005, 18:30   #14

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
The Garmin 276 can be used for both land and sea.
Can be loaded with both land and sea charts at the same time.
If you buy the automotive kit it will talk to you in the car as wel!!

In fact I am looking at one for myself as we speak.

Also whilst on the boat you can link it to a transducer and do depth too.

Regards
Old 21 June 2005, 21:24   #15

The Garmin 276 looks perfect for car/boat - can any one comment from experience on personal use at sea in RIB and in car? And best price?
Old 26 June 2005, 06:43   #16

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
ok my new toy arrived yesterday, Garmin 276.
Fired it up loaded all the software, loadedup the UK road maps and took it out for a play.

Its tops!

I have been using a PDA with nav added on.
The Garmin is sooooo much better.
Better display, louder turn by turn info.

A top bit of kit and IMHO well worth the investment.

Regards