Old 16 July 2005, 11:51   #1

Town: skelmorlie
Boat name: janine
Make: avon searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Speedo and sounder query

I've almost completed the restoration of my old Searider 5.4 and I'm dying to get it in the water. I've now got a blank console and about to install electrics. As I'm new to ribbing do you think for navigation purposes I would be better starting on a basic speedo/log and sounder(if so what types). Or should I push the boat out and go for a gps plotter/sounder. My budget is about 300 -400 quid. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old 16 July 2005, 12:18   #2

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
If you want a plotter, remember to budget for the cartography too.

I went with both, and it was a great choice. It saves time & fuel on longer passages because you can avoid weaving about your desired course.
Old 28 July 2005, 16:20   #3

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I'd get a plotter 'cause that'll give you the exact speed without need for a pitot type tube (inaccurate - I found) or save you having to drill a hole for a paddle wheel (never seems a good idea!)

You can add the depth later for under £100 (i'd buy a fish finder - I think its the same money)

If you look at the chart it'll give you the depth contours anyway.
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2005, 21:28   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Budget options to consider:

Navman 4150 Fishfinder (speed distance depth)............. £125.00

Lowrance M52i (GPS/Sounder speed over ground/ depth)..£209.00

Jump to a chart plotter will cost in the order of £450 minimum )including cartography)
Old 29 July 2005, 09:42   #5

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
I reckon if you search around a bit, you could probably find a combined GPS plotter and fishfinder for not much outside your budget (but then you'll have to start saving again for the maps!).

Search on ebay/internet - be careful though:

(i) some of the units advertised cannot take external cartridges, and the 'background maps' are only useful for the US

(ii) be careful of 'GPS ready' fishfinders - which require add ons to become plotters... what you require is a combined plotter/fishfinder

(iii) GPS units sold from the US may only have a background map for the US - which will make the unit a bit useless as a plotter until you buy the Map cartridge. I would still work as a fisfinder/depth sounder, and basic GPS unit though.

(iv) check what type of cartridge the unit takes (ie Navionics, c-Map) - then check the catalogues of these cartridge map suppliers to be sure that cartridges are available with the correct level of detail for the areas you are interested in..

www.navionics.com
www.c-map.com

Probably a good idea if possible, when buying off the internet to buy from a source as close to home as possible (ie UK based...., better shipping times, UK compatible gear, support you home economy, and also for some odd reason - maybe a better feeling...). I bought a Lowrance 320DF (combined GPS plotter and fishfinder) for something around you budget (I forget exactly...) from a UK supplier on the net last year - works great.
Old 29 July 2005, 10:29   #6

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
I've just imported a chart plotter & sounder from the US. You might like to consider this:

http://www.eaglesonar.com/Products/C...hElite500c.htm

It works out at around £360 inc shipping. Considering the cheapest chart plotter in the UK is £343 I think it is a good deal. Don't forget to add your charts!

Eagle is Lowrance's budget brand.
PM me if you want contact details of the supplier I used.