Old 08 December 2014, 16:19   #1

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Quickstep
Make: Carson Ribs
Length: 7m +
Engine: volvo penta
Speakers in a cabin RIB

Hello all
I'd like to buy my other half a decent sounding speaker set for in our cabin Rib, any suggestions? Must be fairly strong, small but loud enough to hear over the engine!
They will be inside so don't need to be waterproof, looking mostly at size and volume.
Although would be cool to be able to fix up a set of speakers to the outside of the wheelhouse for sunny deck days....?! Maybe I'll leave that part to him though!
Thanks in advance.
Old 09 December 2014, 14:39   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
If its occasional use I'd consider using a blue tooth re-chargeable speaker that you can take home or to the beach. I have a Bose which sounds very good but there are a number of other brands on the market. Alternatively you can hard wire in and the list is long
Old 09 December 2014, 15:09   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Installation inside the cabin? Car stereo speakers would work fine with better acoustics than most marine speakers, I'd guess. Probably a lot cheaper as well, since they don't have that incredibly expensive "Marine" printed on the box.

jky
Old 11 December 2014, 19:30   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Even inside a "dry" cabin, they are still in the marine environment & will rot like buggery if they aren't up to the job. I'd still use proper marine speakers even inside.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 02:20   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Even inside a "dry" cabin, they are still in the marine environment & will rot like buggery if they aren't up to the job. I'd still use proper marine speakers even inside.
Maybe aye, maybe no... I've used car accessory speakers and they've been there since 2003 and still fine. The two larger ones are Sony and the front smaller ones are Aiwa. I suspect any reasonable quality ones will be fine. It'll mostly depend where and how they will be mounted then you can choose a suitable size. However, underway, what with the sizzle of the water and the roaring of the motor, you do require a lot of volume and, for me, that total noise level quickly becomes tiring. A good sound when you're relaxing is very worth having though.
Old 19 December 2014, 07:30   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We fitted car speakers in our last cruisers radar arch which was under the canopies in summer but in winter with the flat storage cover fitted they were open to the elements when we sold the boat after 5 years of use they still looked & sounded fine
I wouldn't pay the premium for marine items
I agree with the comment about listening whilst driving I prefer to listen to the engines & trying to drown them out would require a tiring level of volume

Tags
rib