Old 25 April 2013, 19:43   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Diesel inboard
Spaghetti wiring!!!

Need some electrics looking at.....
GPS loses antenna signal, VHF problem....
Does anybody know anyone who can help without charging a fortune.
I would even consider a keen enthusiast?
Old 26 April 2013, 07:34   #2
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
I am no DIYer but the other weekend I did sort my electrics as it was just a huge ball of wires pulling on the instruments in the console. I was having intermittent problems with the chartplotter and VHF. I was a bit dubious about doing this as I am not hands on practical.

So I disconnected one wire at a time and untangled, reconnected and tied up with cable ties. This turned out to be a really helpful as I labelled up each wire and got to understand what each wire is for.

When complete I still had an intermittent problem so I looked at the fuse box and found out that each fuse contact points had a tiny dot of corrosion on each so I took out the fuse box and cleaned it up and labelled the fuse box.

This has sorted the problem and I took it out for a test run last weekend and it was all spot on.

I would just break it down to one instrument at a time and it isn't that daunting.

If you label when you remove the wire and it all goes wrong at least if you have to get a professional to help they have a head start and may cut down on labour cost
Old 26 April 2013, 08:46   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
if we were closer I'd help you out, but guess the trip to the frozen waste lands up North would cost more than paying someone to do it for you
As AJ says, take your time, label everything and it's probably a loose or corroded connection(s)
Old 26 April 2013, 09:15   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Do you have any mates that like tinkering with cars, it's fairly similar - once you sort out what is there it's not as bad as it looks.

First thing to do though is get your camera out and take pictures of all the wiring and the backs of all the instruments before you unplug anything, can't tell you how many times that has saved my backside.
Old 26 April 2013, 10:44   #5

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Also use the opportunity to label and draw a wiring diagram for the boat which will show you exactly which circuit goes where. This helps when you are on the water and slightly panicked at something failing. I am happy to provide some examples if you would like.
Old 26 April 2013, 10:57   #6
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Do you have any mates that like tinkering with cars, it's fairly similar - once you sort out what is there it's not as bad as it looks.

First thing to do though is get your camera out and take pictures of all the wiring and the backs of all the instruments before you unplug anything, can't tell you how many times that has saved my backside.
Good point that is exactly what I did took loads of pics. Really helpful cause after a while you forget or have senior moment! I'd start with the fuse box if it is intermittent, take it out get some emery cloth on the fuse connections and I replaced the fuses.
Old 26 April 2013, 15:23   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
+1.

Also remember when chasing antenna wires that (assuming they are on an A- frame) there may be a hidden connector lurking somewhere.....

Also might be worth checking the wires in the connectors themselves. CAREFULLY (on grounds you don't sound like you do this all the time! ) unscrew the antenna plug -they are not too dissimilar to a TV aerial or satellite cable connector - it's worth opening the plug(s) and reconnecting with a fresh end of wire.

If you find the copper in wire ends is all black, just replace them (one at a time!) with new wire. Maplin do rolls of single core in a variety of colours. On a similar theme - check your battery cables - if they have black copper at the ends, the intermittant operation might be down to a lack of voltage to keep the kit alive.

Also as a thought ref. your GPS antenna - is it on a 4 pin connector? If so, google "NMEA2000 for beginners" & check you have the correct end caps & the Ts aren't wired @rse about face. There was a change from one single resistor end to one at each end - you may have a mix?

...and call back here with Qs about what you find - enough of us have been there before to find an answer...
Old 27 April 2013, 19:45   #8

I am in the middle of re-wiring mine at the moment. Main problem is access rather than the logic. I would offer this advice.

Its not difficult.
You must tackle it logically, one device at a time.
Its time consuming, hence I strongly suggest a DIY approach.
Having dome it yourself, any problems while out on the water hold less terror.
Always use tinned wire. The main problem with mine is the previous guy used domestic flex - as good as useless.
Use MCBs not wired fuses, more reliable and no need to carry spares.
Use adhesive shrink wrap.
Solder all joints rather than use crimps.
Plan carefully, especially obtain all bits and pieces before hand. That way you won't be tempted to take short cuts.
Label as much as you can.
I always use a bus bar for making junctions between "senders"and "receivers".
Tidy is good.
Gets the right tools, good side cutters, good screwdrivers, good wire strippers.
Get plenty of cable ties!
Flexible conduit makes it look neater.

And - good marine electricians are rare and expensive.

Go on, you know you can.

Good luck

IanW
Old 27 April 2013, 20:04   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
That's Top Advice from J.I.Wilson. The wiring on my old RIB (8yo when I got her) was poor and I had numerous problems that I finally solved by doing some of what JIW describes. Best thing I ever did on that boat, maintenance wise.
Old 27 April 2013, 21:52   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's Top Advice from J.I.Wilson. The wiring on my old RIB (8yo when I got her) was poor and I had numerous problems that I finally solved by doing some of what JIW describes. Best thing I ever did on that boat, maintenance wise.
Yup, see my refurb thread

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 21:48   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
Main problem is access rather than the logic.
+1+1+1.

Also if you are running cables to your engine / A-frame, it's well worth running an extra couple for future, and if you are feeding through long lengths of conduit, ALWAYS feed the ones with moulded plugs first!

(Not that I am now cursing the fact I never "future proofed" for NMEA2000 or anything! )
Old 04 May 2013, 19:32   #12

Town: London
Make: Humber
Engine: 1.7 Diesel inboard
Thanks for all the tips.....think I got it sorted now :-)