Old 24 August 2009, 08:21   #21

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudilb View Post
I've just been looking into this - finally settled on a set of waterproof speakers by Boss on ebay fixeed into the main console - then coupled to a mini-amp in waterproof box inside the console. Then lead out to a cheap mp3 player in a car-mount on the top. I had looked at polyplanar but it all seemed a bit pricey and other users weren't that happy with the results. I avoided CD because of the tendency to skip. A cheap mp3 will give the best long-term performance.

I've got all the kit together - now just waiting for a free day to do the install - Once I have it all finally in I will post some pics.
I'm afraid those Boss ebay speakers are total rubbish. I got a pair and one of their stereos for a RIB once and it was total rubbish. The stereo broke after about 6 months due to water ingress (so called waterproof). I replaced it with a Sony unit (which was much more waterproof) but the speakers were still rubbish. In the end one of them gave up and I replaced them with something else.

Aquatic AV do some really good speakers. I don't know what model they are but I've got a pair on one of my boats (connected to a Fusion head unit) and drive a 9m RIB with several of them installed. They sound really good - really basey even when turned up really loud. Generally its the wind that will affect your ability to here them as opposed to your engine so make sure you consider where you're going to mount them. Two on console then two in the back of some seats works very well.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:09   #22

Length: 7m +
I just had a radio / ipod dock system and 4 marine speakers fitted to my cobra from cobra ribs in romsey, pricey bit of kit but its excellent, good deep sound and enables me to download all my albums to an ipod and insert into the unit. would recommend it.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:29   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I do remember one lovely day not long ago when we were weaving around some small islands with the missus on the front seat holding a glass of wine and the next random tune started playing, the Bond theme. I almost burst out laughing and we ended up doing donuts just for a laugh with it playing full blast.
Quote:
Here is a short clip with the background sound from the stereo and the wind and motor, not even half turned up!
You won't half catch it from the RSPCA if they spot you slipping her a wine drink again....
Old 31 August 2009, 00:15   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
the Bond theme
Oh, and any further syncronicity in your posts, and you may have to pay royalties to Alyastra....
Old 31 August 2009, 07:07   #25

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: TORA
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Send a message via Skype™ to TUFTY
The simple option

I have one of these Altec Lansing portable speakers with an MP3 player in an Aqua Bag.
The sound is pretty impressive considering it's only 3.5" diameter. It takes 3 AA batteries which are inexpensive and last a day out comfortably.

Its a cheap soloution, involves no wiring and is removed from the rib so can be used eleswhere also.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 02 September 2009, 15:54   #26

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Incentive
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90TLDI
Today the nice postman bought me a nice shiny Aquatic cd player.Thought i wasnt gonna have the room on the console,but panic over its gonna fit.Already mentioned on here but yet again what speakers would people go for in my position?
Hope the fish like music!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02303.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	45426  
Old 02 September 2009, 21:34   #27

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I bought a couple of marine Clarions, weren't too expensive and still seem to belt out the beat after nearly 8 months on the RIB
Old 03 September 2009, 04:56   #28

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Speakers...

I'm struggling to find speakers which are more than just "splash proof" -- since the RIB environment is slightly more than splashing!

The layout of my console might demand the speakers on the side, or at the bottom of the drivers seat, so more exposed and more weather battered than on the main side of the console...

I've found Aquatic AV which might look like they'd do the job though - anyone had any experience with these? Anyone been able to break them?! Also, I'm in New Zealand, so anyone know if they ship internationally?

Cheers
Old 07 September 2009, 07:47   #29

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbathgate View Post
I'm struggling to find speakers which are more than just "splash proof" -- since the RIB environment is slightly more than splashing!

The layout of my console might demand the speakers on the side, or at the bottom of the drivers seat, so more exposed and more weather battered than on the main side of the console...

I've found Aquatic AV which might look like they'd do the job though - anyone had any experience with these? Anyone been able to break them?! Also, I'm in New Zealand, so anyone know if they ship internationally?

Cheers
Here you go - www.marine-audio.com you'll have to ask them if they ship to NZ - I'm coming out next November (2010), but I don't suppose you want to wait that long!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2009, 20:45   #30

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I'm coming out next November (2010), but I don't suppose you want to wait that long!
Haha, I'll wait if you want to pay

Cheers for the link