Old 03 April 2015, 20:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I hate it when I get all poly-esq but I think your maths is flawed...

So you need to charge for 7-8 hours to transmit @25W for 1 hour. I'm kind of hoping that when the brown stuff hits the fan I'm not holding the PTT down for an hour...

It takes less than a 10sec to do a DSC mayday transmitting, plus probably a minute of being on flicking through menus etc if you wanted to send some info. 3mins for GPS to settle. Let's call it 6 mins... And you can get a voice call out. So 1/10th of the time you quoted. You quoted 8 hours so 480minutes, so you might get enough charge to power up a VHF + GPS and then transmit a voice call in under an hour. Sure I'd rather it worked the second I turned it on, but if it didn't I might prefer to be putting some juice in knowing in an hour i may be OK (especially as flat batteries often recover a bit after the drain has been isolated - ask any AA man how often they get to a car that wont start that starts after the hour it took them to respond) than remembering that great day out you used the solar panel money on the fuel for...

If there was a recent position known (e.g. you had VHF and GPS working when you arrived at anchor) you probably need less than 1minute of 25W transmit. Provided you genuinely were only going from just too low voltage / amps to just above (incandescent bulb will keep draining, starter motor will. Only electronics will tend to switch off when power low rather than just work less well so depends what drained battery) you might only need 1/60th of what you suggested. So 8mins of charging might get enough to send a DSC message... Granted that's in med conditions but in UK cloudy winter day you would get 40% of that.

But they also were not proposing the panel sat in a locker till the battery was flat. They were saying they would leave it as permenant fixing. So its charging when you anchor up and turn the engine off. At 0.3A/HR going in that's not really compensating for much use. But it probably covers leaving the VHF on *listening* or maybe not switching the plotter off depending on size and screen contrast etc. So when they ho to move off the engine still starts and there is no issue... But that's why I asked about kit and such like...
Please note I did say a flat battery

Maths isn't flawed for the given worst case I used.

However, I understand your point.

If it gives you a warm feeling to have one then that alone is worth the money. Bit like life jackets in a way, just hope never need it.

Cheers

P.s I'll have a better read later, just taking a break and admiring my suzuki 200 sitting on the hoist ready for going up a hole.
Old 03 April 2015, 22:44   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I hate it when I get all poly-esq
Pal, you're not even in the same field

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 06:34   #23
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
On the bow (Make a platform in the form of the bow to where tubes begin running parallel. Or go to a muffler co and as them to make you a transom arch (cheaper then buying from a marine store) add a top parallel bar that will facilitate the panel-with over the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
On our yacht we have a large solar panel fitted and it is amazing how much power it does actually put on over the course of the day.

I'm thinking about putting one on the rib, but not sure as to location and or if it were to be a permanent fix.
As the boat is out all day diving it does sit still for a couple of hours with a short sharp journey to collect divers then is sat again while having a chartplotter, echo sounder, VHF and a 12v charger for a phone buzzing away. would be nice knowing something is going back in.

Does anyone have one fitted or have had the same idea ?

Cheers Phil
Old 18 April 2015, 07:40   #24

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
i think what i am going to do is use the pannel when its on the drive, rather than have it on a smart charger and wires all over, just have it plugged in to keep the battery conditioned, if that makes sence.

cheers all for your advicv even if 90% was over my head :-o

phil
Old 18 April 2015, 12:40   #25

Length: 3m +
Why not trickle when not afloat?
Old 25 April 2015, 05:11   #26

It's just having somewhere to fix the panel to while at sea as I don't have an outboard
Phil.
Old 25 April 2015, 05:12   #27

Wow. Worlds best typeo, so it just sits in the outboard as I don't have an A frame.