Old 01 October 2006, 01:56   #12
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Have Silva S15 have got through a couple 4 to be exact alway's replaced next day delivery, I like them never had a problem with it getting wet ,lost the screen every time now on a 2006 version so fingers crossed that it the last one I replace before we sell the rib at the end of the year.18,750

We use the S10 Training sets and they are very good students love them as big screens and user friendly.
Old 01 October 2006, 07:08   #13

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Yeah to be less critical, silva have replaced them everytime. And it has only been the screen gone, not a total failure of the radio.

H
Old 01 October 2006, 11:46   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Length: 4m +
Send a message via MSN to daveh
Dont buy one!

I spoke to a sales agent for Silva radios at a well known rib exhibition and asked why he was there. I said Silva radios have no place on a rib given the problem with water ingress. He said that he could sell another brand and would not sell a silva to someone with an exposed boat.

I have had reports of a Silva DSC sending out a DSC alert by itself aswell as numerous reports of failure through water ingress
Old 01 October 2006, 17:07   #15

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
I have had reports of a Silva DSC sending out a DSC alert by itself aswell as numerous reports of failure through water ingress
That's pretty scary... The distress button (and associated circuitry) is the one thing I would have thought would be massively over-engineered to prevent any possibility of this!

Thanks to everyone who has replied - it seems to be the only safe thing to do is not get the radio wet in the 1st place (not very practical on a RIB)! Seems they all have their issues (even the ICOM has a section in the faultfinding part of the manual on emptying water from the speaker if it gets wet).

Still not sure on my decision on what to get tho, although it appears a backup handheld as part of std safety kit is nearly a must!
Old 02 October 2006, 04:08   #16
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
I spoke to a sales agent for Silva radios at a well known rib exhibition and asked why he was there. I said Silva radios have no place on a rib given the problem with water ingress. He said that he could sell another brand and would not sell a silva to someone with an exposed boat.

Not heard of any of those problems
My Silva is flush mounted and gets a good soaking when we wash the boat down every time, never had water ingress but have had the screen fail 4 times to date. Replaced next day by Silva so at least they have a good customer service in their favour .
Old 03 October 2006, 10:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Not heard of any of those problems
My Silva is flush mounted and gets a good soaking when we wash the boat down every time, never had water ingress but have had the screen fail 4 times to date. Replaced next day by Silva so at least they have a good customer service in their favour .
It's intersting the screen has failed. I did notice a section in the S10 user manual that said if the radio was exposed to sunlight all the time this could cause failure to the LCD. I wonder if this is the cause of so many reported screen failures (not just yours but I've also read of others). I'm surprised they are so susceptable if that's the case - there must be hundreds of different makes of externally mounted instruments using LCD that have no problems (most yachts have log, depth, wind and GPS repeater mounted externally, many of which have no covers)....
Old 18 October 2006, 15:05   #18

Finally opted for the M421 with raider antenna... Thanks to all who gave input.

Al.
Old 18 October 2006, 15:47   #19

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'm sure you've made the best choice. Good luck with your new purchase Al.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote