I bought a £99 Silva handheld VHF a few months ago as an emergancy precaution. Anyway, having used it once the battery door mechanism broke, so I sent it off for repair. It came back weeks later with a new battery, problem sorted. However, I used it the other day and it cut out in mid transmition.
I assumed it was the battery so I've had it on charge. Just unplugged it and tested it and it caught fire; lots of nastly electrical smelling smoke, so I quickly took the battery off to see a red glow coming from inside. The plastic casing in a bit melted now too. I don't somehow think it's going to work after this.....
I can only assume that some water has got into my "water proof" radio and shorted something out. Oh well, better for it to happen in my bedroom than out at sea with a broken engine!
I think I'll invest in an Icom now!