Click Here to Login

Old 12 January 2017, 10:05   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
SH HX270 water ingress through corrosion

I have a Standard Horizon HX270e handheld that has been fine for I guess about 10 years or so that I have owned it.

I was just doing a few checks and popped the battery out of it and it was immediately obvious that there had been some water ingress at some point as there were salt crystals around the bottom of the battery. The HX270e has a battery which covers most of the back of the radio and has a rubber seal all around the edge where it contacts the aluminium radio casing, the problem appears to be that the alloy radio casing itself has filioform corrosion and the paint was bubbled up, physically displacing the seal and letting water in. Obviously none got anywhere near anything important, as it still works fine.

Three things:

1) If you've got one, or a radio with a similar type of battery fitting and you haven't taken the battery out for a while (you don't need to do so when charging, so I only do it very occasionally), then I'd recommend checking it for a similar issue.

2) Has anybody got any novel repair solutions? At the moment, while I've cleaned it up, I don't really feel I can trust it and as its main function is for emergency use if I ever end up in the oggin, I'm minded to replace it. A new casing would sort it but hardly seems worthwhile given the age.

3) If I am going to replace it then the primary requirement (apart from reliability) is a decent retention clip - which the HX270 lacks. What's the current recommendation? This seems OK, off another recent-ish thread, but no pictures of the clip:

Standard Horizon HX300E VHF Transceiver with USB Recharging Port - Standard Horizon VHF - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 10:52   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
if the corrosion has unseated the seal i would say its not repairable but you could buy a cheap plastic bag housing rated to 10 m and put it in that if the radio works ok.
do you know anyone on the base they use bags for divers to put thier dose meters in whilst diving on neuclear powered craft
cheers
Old 12 January 2017, 12:44   #3

It's the smooth face that the seal presses on to when the battery is fitted - the seal itself is on the battery but requires a flat surface to give an effective seal against. I have a dry bag somewhere for a radio but will likely replace the entire thing anyway given that the SH ones only seem to be about £100 or so with Icom not much more.

Old 12 January 2017, 12:54   #4

RIBase
ITS COST £10 / YEAR TIME FOR A NEW ONE
Old 12 January 2017, 16:14   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Use a decent marine caulk to seal it, and plan on using a blade to open it next time.

jky
Old 14 January 2017, 09:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
ITS COST £10 / YEAR TIME FOR A NEW ONE
As indicated, that's my intention, but as you cannot currently purchase one locally I would need to order it in, and I've just discovered that because they have Li-Ion batteries in, nobody will now send them by airmail

So something workable is necessary in the short term (2-3 months). I'll also be keeping it on the boat as a spare so waterproofing it would still be worthwhile if possible.

Old 14 January 2017, 11:13   #7

RIBase
Fully agree do a repair on the old one it's still works ok but carnt swim .
I bought a hand held with non rechargeable batteries and carry spares reason being I have longer usage time than with a rechargeable battery so you would have no trouble getting one by air
Old 15 January 2017, 13:08   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Put some hermatite around it or some caulking sealant or some window sealer or some evostick or, or, or.....

Old 16 January 2017, 07:52   #9

Happen to have a part tube of 1hr shower silicone lying about. What was that about a replaceable battery

Old 16 January 2017, 15:58   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Happen to have a part tube of 1hr shower silicone lying about. What was that about a replaceable battery
Hehe, well that's the one I wouldn't use cos the acetic acid, which comes out of the sealer, will corrode your battery contacts!
Old 17 January 2017, 09:04   #11

Not as much as salt water