Old 11 November 2006, 17:00   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Got to admit this is more than a little worrying....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...ystery_solved/

Don't think my old Landie would have been hurt though!!!

Old 11 November 2006, 17:16   #12

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavecrosschris View Post
...(says me who is typing this on a wifi laptop with the antenna 10 inches away from my crotch )
Ya, that's as close as I can get mine too...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 17:31   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Actually a small radar close to you is far worse than a massive dish on the top of a hill. The signal strength drops off by the inverse square law - basically it means an electric blanket is worse than having your house under a pylon!!!
There was a discussion on that here when the first mobile phone network was installed last year because one of the masts was a couple of hundred yards from a kids playground and the mummies started bickering.

The figures that came out were that you were safe from the masts used (which may be lower power than UK ones) at a distance 18 inches from the aerial, on a permanent basis! This is due to the signal strength decline Codprawn mentions. So actually mobile masts shouldn't be too dangerous unless you carry one round in a rucksack

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 18:25   #14

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
lol, have you never noticed that green glow, often mistaken for the flats at port solent as you pass on the M27? - thats actually radioactive waves from the radars bouncing of them flats and making them glow green!
Old 11 November 2006, 18:45   #15

Length: 6m +
Looking at Garmin's website, I see that they advertise a 25 degree vertical beamwidth for their 2kW radar. Stuck atop any normal A frame and I reckon you're going to be in the way of the beam as it circuits the rib. So not much comfort there.

On the other hand, I suspect, but do not know, that to achieve adequate range marine radar will operate at a lower frequency (therefore longer wavelength) than mobile phones. I'm hoping this means they are less dangerous.

I say all this because having once been in fog without radar I would rather not repeat the experience!
Old 12 November 2006, 09:30   #16

Mobile phones about 2ghz - s band radar about 2ghz but x band is 9ghz - over 4 times higher.....
Old 14 November 2006, 09:46   #17

Length: 6m +
... which would probably make the rf frequency for radar less safe rather than more safe (higher frequency is absorbed more by the human body, I think).

So the only comfort for users of radar on ribs may be the distance that they are from the radar. Assuming a mobile phone 1 cm from the brain at an average power of 1/2W, I reckon that this is equivalent to being a couple of foot from a 2kW marine radar (although I appreciate that the calculation is really coarse).

Any closer than a couple of feet (or any more powerful than 2kW), and the risks seem worse than using a mobile phone. At say 6 feet the risks are roughly one tenth.
Old 16 December 2006, 16:40   #18

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Now I got confused

I bought a JRC 1000 Mark II Radar a few weeks ago. The output is 1.5W

I was told by friends that are involved with radar installations and I believe that they know a lot more about radars than I do that is safer than using a mobile phone. I this correct? Reading Charles' post I think that they are correct. But I'm asking for verification.

Also to say that the radar will be mounted on a pole 20cm hight on top of the A-frame. The beam from the radar is 7 cms wide.

Any info appreciated
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2006, 18:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos View Post
Now I got confused

I bought a JRC 1000 Mark II Radar a few weeks ago. The output is 1.5W

I was told by friends that are involved with radar installations and I believe that they know a lot more about radars than I do that is safer than using a mobile phone. I this correct? Reading Charles' post I think that they are correct. But I'm asking for verification.

Also to say that the radar will be mounted on a pole 20cm hight on top of the A-frame. The beam from the radar is 7 cms wide.

Any info appreciated
The output is 1.5KW

As with all such things the inverse square law applies - for example you get more exposure to electricity from an electric blanket than you do having your house under a large pylon.

With a mobile phone it is clamped to your head whereas most radar scanners are a few feet away - obviously their power is much greater though - KW rather than a tiny amount of power from your phone.

Remember a radar scanner is exactly the same as a microwave oven - would you stand in front of it with the door open when it's switched on???
Old 16 December 2006, 19:32   #20

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I'm not saying I'll stand in the front of it while is in operation and also I only needed for the occasional night crossing. Not much else.

Wow you made me worried ow cod

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote