Old 07 July 2015, 22:55   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Rya safe trx app

Hi all

Noticed this app on the Teignmouth weather site, does it do the job.Got to be a good thing!!! Your views.
Old 08 July 2015, 09:44   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
Hi all

Noticed this app on the Teignmouth weather site, does it do the job.Got to be a good thing!!! Your views.

Just thought I would add this is on the Google app store not sure for iPhone.
Old 09 July 2015, 07:42   #3

Town: Swindon
MMSI: 235910561
It's available for iPhone too, but I'm not sure it's ideal for RIBbing. From what I understand, it needs a constant GPS signal, so you either need a Bluetooth GPS module, or need your phone mounted on the console somehow. Also, running a GPS app on the iPhone kills the already limited battery, so I work on the old-fashioned method of texting someone when I set off, and texting again once I'm at my destination.

On the other hand, if you can get round the GPS/battery challenges, take a look at Wavetrax, which is a great logbook app.
Old 09 July 2015, 09:03   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandells View Post
It's available for iPhone too, but I'm not sure it's ideal for RIBbing. From what I understand, it needs a constant GPS signal, so you either need a Bluetooth GPS module, or need your phone mounted on the console somehow. Also, running a GPS app on the iPhone kills the already limited battery, so I work on the old-fashioned method of texting someone when I set off, and texting again once I'm at my destination.
Actually I think it is better than you think! I had a brief discussion with Tim Griffiths when he mentioned it, and so have some quite a bit of digging. It's made by a us organisation and licensed to the rya for use in the UK. It reduces it's activity if your battery is running low. It also works (albeit with less utility) without GPS or data connections continuously running. I have been meaning to download and review it properly. I do see some issues with it, and in remote areas it may cause more problems than it solves (I was on tiree and coll last week and mobile signal never mind data connection is patchy at Best).

I can't see any reason it shouldn't work inside a dry suit or similar clothing, I'd expect sibbers who put phones in pelicases to also get adequate signal and bigger ribs could of course put the phone inside the console connected to a 12v charger and protected from the elements.

Of course a reliable shore contact can do the same job, but for many of us the person you most trust might be on the boat with you. Others might delay contacting the CG longer than you would expect, or forget (if you have a long drive Home).

Where I think it offers the most advantage is for people just going out without a clear plan. If my shore contact knows I was going from oban to Craighouse and don't arrive there is a relatively obvious (albeit large) search region. If however I leave Craobh Haven to go fishing for three hours then my shore contact probably can do nothing to steer the CG in the right direction.

It is free to rya members. Costs to non members seem sensible.

If I understood correctly you can also share live updates with trusted friends which whilst probably tedious for most trips might be interesting for friends ashore on more interesting passages.
Old 09 July 2015, 09:49   #5

Hi

Been reading a little more and am pretty sure you give your details over ie.contact number etc and that is kept with RYA .You don't make that text they do. Your phone just needs GPS and your last coordinates are sent to narrow the search area, could be wrong though .
Old 09 July 2015, 16:02   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hi

Been reading a little more and am pretty sure you give your details over ie.contact number etc and that is kept with RYA .You don't make that text they do. Your phone just needs GPS and your last coordinates are sent to narrow the search area, could be wrong though .
So you register your details (once) with the App.
You then "file a passage plan" via the App before (or during) your journey. This includes an expected time of arrival back ashore.
Whenever your phone has signal it updates your position to the server.
If you complete your journey and all is well, you push a button in the app to say you are finished.
If you don't report being safe on time then the SafeTrx service starts sending messages (i) to you in case you just forgot (ii) to your shore contact (iii) after a while to the CG who then (and only at that point) are able to access your passage plan and last known position etc.
Old 10 July 2015, 07:48   #7

I didn't think the ap ever contacted the CG directly. I thought your shore contact still had to. But they got a link or something to pass to CG ...

When u do ur reviewing will you look at how it handles multiple boats. So I have a CG66 registered online but it seems I can only have one boat per email. Does this ap make the same assumption...
Old 10 July 2015, 08:03   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I didn't think the ap ever contacted the CG directly. I thought your shore contact still had to. But they got a link or something to pass to CG ...

When u do ur reviewing will you look at how it handles multiple boats. So I have a CG66 registered online but it seems I can only have one boat per email. Does this ap make the same assumption...
You may be right on the first point. I can see why they would want that, but think it is missing my trick. I may have confused us and UK information.

On your second point yes you can have different vessels (and different shore contacts)
Old 10 July 2015, 10:53   #9

Town: Cork
Length: no boat
Quote:

Nessa here from the RYA SafeTrx development team. I’m hoping I can help clarify some of the points in this thread

Where a boater goes overdue, the SafeTrx server will send a series of local notifications and SMS messages to the boater first. If the trip is still overdue 30 minutes after the ETA expires, it will still send an overdue SMS to the Emergency Contacts. They will be advised to try to make contact with the boater before escalating to the Coast Guard. Should they need to call the Coast Guard, a unique trip ID is included in that SMS to provide to them. The Coast Guard have access to the SafeTrx Monitoring Console to view the boaters Sail Plan and their last reported location.

Just to confirm also, multiple boats can be registered under the one account. You can add more vessels through the app itself (click on the vessel name on the ‘Create New Trip’ screen) or through the SafeTrx Boater site - https://safetrx.rya.org.uk/login.html
Old 10 July 2015, 11:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Actually I think it is better than you think! I had a brief discussion with Tim Griffiths when he mentioned it, and so have some quite a bit of digging. It's made by a us organisation and licensed to the rya for use in the UK. It reduces it's activity if your battery is running low. It also works (albeit with less utility) without GPS or data connections continuously running. I have been meaning to download and review it properly. I do see some issues with it, and in remote areas it may cause more problems than it solves (I was on tiree and coll last week and mobile signal never mind data connection is patchy at Best).

I can't see any reason it shouldn't work inside a dry suit or similar clothing, I'd expect sibbers who put phones in pelicases to also get adequate signal and bigger ribs could of course put the phone inside the console connected to a 12v charger and protected from the elements.

Of course a reliable shore contact can do the same job, but for many of us the person you most trust might be on the boat with you. Others might delay contacting the CG longer than you would expect, or forget (if you have a long drive Home).

Where I think it offers the most advantage is for people just going out without a clear plan. If my shore contact knows I was going from oban to Craighouse and don't arrive there is a relatively obvious (albeit large) search region. If however I leave Craobh Haven to go fishing for three hours then my shore contact probably can do nothing to steer the CG in the right direction.

If I understood correctly you can also share live updates with trusted friends which whilst probably tedious for most trips might be interesting for friends ashore on more interesting passages.
Where the RYA SafeTrx app experiences loss of cell coverage, it stores the trip location points on the Smartphone. Once a signal becomes available again, it sends the backlog of stored trip information to the server and resumes posting trip information in real time.

The RYA SafeTrx app uses a number of methods to determine position and these do consume battery power. However, the app monitors your phones battery in real time and adapts to declining battery levels. If the battery level falls below 30%, the location transmission interval is adjusted from 1km to 2km. to save battery power. There is also a failsafe to ensure that if the battery falls to 10% RYA SafeTrx suspends in order to preserve battery power for emergency calls. When your Smartphone is plugged in to recharge, trip monitoring en sending location information is resumed by opening the app again.

The next release of the RYA SafeTrx app, which will be available in the coming weeks, will be free to both RYA members and non members.
Old 10 July 2015, 11:04   #11

Quote:
Just thought I would add this is on the Google app store not sure for iPhone.
You can download the iPhone version (requires iOS 7.0 and above) here - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rya-...2157?ls=1&mt=8
And the Android version (requires OS 4.0 and above) -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=safetrx.rya
Old 10 July 2015, 16:36   #12
RIBnet admin team

Do you mean that the new version will be free to use for non members as well as free to download?
Old 10 July 2015, 16:54   #13

Quote:
Do you mean that the new version will be free to use for non members as well as free to download?
Yes that's correct, it will be free to download and free to run trips for all users, members and non members.
Old 12 July 2015, 19:22   #14

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Actually I think it is better than you think! I had a brief discussion with Tim Griffin when he mentioned it, and so have some quite a bit of digging. It's made by a us organisation and licensed to the rya for use in the UK. It reduces it's activity if your battery is running low. It also works (albeit with less utility) without GPS or data connections continuously running. I have been meaning to download and review it properly. I do see some issues with it, and in remote areas it may cause more problems than it solves (I was on tiree and coll last week and mobile signal never mind data connection is patchy at Best).

I think it's great
Tim Griffin
Old 13 July 2015, 14:38   #15

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
It would be great Tim if it worked foe ALL smartphone platforms, !!!!
Old 15 July 2015, 18:28   #16

Which SMART phone does it not work on?
Old 15 July 2015, 21:12   #17

Town: Cardiff
Windows?
Old 15 July 2015, 21:32   #18

does anything? I've never understood why people by winPhones - they just don't have the range of aps that droid and iOS have. Was expecting you to say blackberry - who even my backward employer have dropped...
Old 15 July 2015, 21:35   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
does anything? I've never understood why people by winPhones - they just don't have the range of aps that droid and iOS have. Was expecting you to say blackberry - who even my backward employer have dropped...
They are cheap.
Old 15 July 2015, 21:37   #20

So is a Samsung e1200i ;-)