Old 02 February 2009, 06:48   #1

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Running wires through dash/console

I'm finally going to install my vhf. f/f and plotter on my Humber next week. I am planning to install the vhf flush fitting whilst keeping the F/F and Plotter surface mounted so I can remove them for security, adjust the viewing angle (depending on if am sitting or standing) and upgrade more easily in the future without being restricted by the holes already in the console.
I'd like to push the cables back inside the console when the electronics are not in use but am not sure how to pass them through the dash in a manner that will not just be a gaping hole letting water into the console. Obviously a normal deck gland will not be of use due to the plugs on the cables. Any advice would be great!
Old 02 February 2009, 07:52   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
http://www.indexmarine.co.uk/pages/glands1.htm
Old 02 February 2009, 09:44   #3

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Hi Dirk,
They would be fine if I didn't want to ever remove the plotter/FF. I'd like to push the wires completely back into the console when ever the boat is not in use to keep them out of the weather. It looks like I'd need a screw driver to get the plugs back into the console with all the glands and the like I've seen so far.
I'm thinking of making up someting myself with some neoprene/stainless to do the job
Old 02 February 2009, 10:04   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Hi Dirk,
They would be fine if I didn't want to ever remove the plotter/FF. I'd like to push the wires completely back into the console when ever the boat is not in use to keep them out of the weather. It looks like I'd need a screw driver to get the plugs back into the console with all the glands and the like I've seen so far.
I'm thinking of making up someting myself with some neoprene/stainless to do the job
Why not have a small "glove box" hatch with the cable glands inside, open it to connect the cables for the plotter etc and store the cables when not in use
Old 02 February 2009, 10:12   #5

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I worked on a boat last year that the owner kept all his plugs in a small tupperware box when not in use. It had small grooves in the side, just below the top, so you could lay all the wires in, and then put the lid back on, he also had a couple of sachets of silica crystals inside to absorb any moisture.
Old 02 February 2009, 12:36   #6

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Hi
I fitted out my Ocean-Pro in a similar manner and keot the leads in a small plastic bag with a rubber band to seal. It worked very well !!!
Old 02 February 2009, 12:56   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Why not use a rubber blanking grommet to fill the hole through which the cables feed? The cables themselves from the equipment could be threaded through a similar sized holed grommet (as suggested in post 2) to keep the water out of the console when in use and would then connect with a male/female plug connection inside the (dry) console.