Old 14 July 2004, 10:58   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Rib Wiring

guys, I'll be drawing a project plan up shortly for the electrical wiring and rigging of my searider as I'll have it back shortly with all the repair work done - any tips or advice I can steal as I only want to do this once - many thanks
Old 14 July 2004, 11:34   #2

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Have you planned what your electric comsumptions will be ?
Keep in mind that all our devices work with 12 V DC which tends to have a very large voltage drop.
Thus it's better to use cables with cross section around 4 mm2 from battery to distribution panel and 2,5 mm2 from there on. Of courrse this is NOT a rule. It's NOT recommended to use 2,5 mm2 cable to supply your gps unit for example. Everything depends on the consumption of each device.
As far as the negative (ground), you can use an isolated area on which you can drill a hole and pass a stainless screw through. On this screw you may lead all the negative (usually black) cables of the devices. From this screw to the battery's NEGATIVE only one cable (4 mm2) will do the work.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 11:34   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Ollyit ....are you coming to this IOW cruise Biggles is organising.

I had my Avon wired up proffesionally as i wanted it done correctly and wanted it to last, everyting comes off water proof boxes into seperate fuse box and then to the main fuse panel sealed in a water proof box inside the consoul, then all switches are completely water proof and i'm told the best you can buy, this all means that if i do develop a fault i can access the fuses and electrics easilly and everything is isolated.

maybe if your at the IOW cruise you could have a look at mine and how its been done
Old 14 July 2004, 14:47   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Wiring

The two most important things are to have waterproof switches and fuseholders and to have waterproofe sockets and plugs where you have to join equipment to cables in exposed locations.

I have an AXON 3 way panel that has been out in the ran for several years now with no problems. Available from Aqua Marine in Eastleigh or Index Marine in Poole.

For sockets and plugs I just used the expensive ones from Aladdins cave - about £13 per pair. Index Marine also have some good ones.

Also - use tinned cable. I didn't and haven't had any problems yet but know of plenty of others who have.

And another thing, if using multi core cable, make sure it is round in section, not flat. Most waterproof fittings / plugs will only seal against a round cable.

HTH

Duncan