Old 05 September 2015, 07:47   #21

Length: 3m +
Yeh but you are using 2 x 75Ah leisures...

That doesn't feel like "I need a cheap simple solution for my boat battery" - Basically the OP wanted to know which battery to buy. But now we have him installing dual redundant batteries, 1,2,1+2 isolators etc just to be able to get his engine to start when he turns the key...
Old 05 September 2015, 09:06   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
As long as he's not running lots of electonics with the engine off any old car battery will do as long as the cca is big enough a 75 isn't going to need a huge battery probably something from an average saloon will do
I never buy fancy batteries & never have problems with life span.Leaving any battery untouched for a long period isn't good for it no matter what it costs. My philosophy is if it's cheap in the first place & it lasts 5 years then buy another cheap one to replace it
Old 05 September 2015, 09:20   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
......just to be able to get his engine to start when he turns the key...
Which in my book, is pretty fundamental . After being the subject of a "Mayday" call in the past due to a dud battery, I no longer skimp on batteries. Like I said early on, it's down to your attitude to risk & the depth of your pockets. Personally I think the OP will be fine with a decent automotive battery of the correct CCA/MCA for his engine, that will fit in the available space. I wouldn't expect to pay more than £100 to achieve this. IMHO
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2015, 10:00   #24

You can rope start a 75 two stroke if you do get caught out. It's rare to have a battery fail 2nd or 3rd start of the day unless there is another fault with the engineor there is another drain on the battery.Batteries usualy die when left for a period of more than the few hours your out boating
Old 05 September 2015, 11:00   #25

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yea and you could rope start my 150 but would not like to try it in a bouncy sea!! I have two bats. 85 ah and a 110 ah 900 cca for the engine but I still on long hauls carry a bat pack.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2015, 15:43   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Yeh but you are using 2 x 75Ah leisures...
Yeh. There are two, Numax £59.50 each of ebay . "Main/backup" type configuration and I've never had to use the backup. The prospect of my memory letting me down is far more real than the likely hood of a battery failing and that's why I've got two. But if I forget to switch off the bilge pump it really ain't going to make much difference what kind of batteries I have.......... I'm coming back to a flat one.
Old 05 September 2015, 15:59   #27

RIBase
Rib battery?

You must be away for a hell'va time!! Or have a great pump. I have a 1100gph rule on mine with a 85 or 110 ah bats and over normal wx I can leave it five weeks and still have 60%
Of bat to turn engine

Old 05 September 2015, 19:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You must be away for a hell'va time!! Or have a great pump. I have a 1100gph rule on mine with a 85 or 110 ah bats and over normal wx I can leave it five weeks and still have 60%
Of bat to turn engine

5 weeks = 35 days = 840 hrs.....Fused at 6 amps (recommended.) even if it was only drawing a tenth of that spinning dry that equates to 504AH. What's more the spec on the 12v Rule 1100GPH I've just seen only rates the motor for 1500 hours. So, if you leave the pump running for 5 weeks twice, the the motor is going to be pretty well knackered. There really is nothing special about the pair of 600gph pumps I run but your battery really must be something special or the pump is being left in "auto" and not actually running continuously.
Old 05 September 2015, 19:53   #29

RIBase
Oh yes it's in auto with float switch you wouldn't leave it on a mooring running continuously

Old 05 September 2015, 22:36   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
5 weeks = 35 days = 840 hrs.....Fused at 6 amps (recommended.) even if it was only drawing a tenth of that spinning dry that equates to 504AH. What's more the spec on the 12v Rule 1100GPH I've just seen only rates the motor for 1500 hours. So, if you leave the pump running for 5 weeks twice, the the motor is going to be pretty well knackered. There really is nothing special about the pair of 600gph pumps I run but your battery really must be something special or the pump is being left in "auto" and not actually running continuously.

I know the weather can be iffy on the west coast, but I don't think it rains continuously for 5 weeks.... Ok it might, but not enough to put 600gph into a RIB

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2015, 17:20   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Dual cycle marine battery thicker plates than a car battery although car batteries work fine left mine on the mooring for two weeks auto bilge pump no probs numax have a battery condition light showing green when heathy never carried one but a jump starter would be a good back up.dual cycle because they discharge differently for each application slowly for the electronics, as required for the cranking amps.best get you out of jail is an aux motor start her up get out of trouble think about how your going to get main engine started my 25 Suzuki needs a partial strip down if the pull start breaks. starting is aided on four strokes because they have a de-compression system anyway so in theory a 150 shouldn't be a problem I think I would give it a go to find out though before i had to
Old 06 September 2015, 17:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I know the weather can be iffy on the west coast, but I don't think it rains continuously for 5 weeks.... Ok it might, but not enough to put 600gph into a RIB

.....sh1t happens.......
No..it just feels like that sometimes
My point was just that the backup battery is there for when I do something stupid. I'm reasonably confident I'd get away with one battery but I think it's worth having the backup
Old 06 September 2015, 20:07   #33

Length: 3m +
Yeh but guys. This guy doesn't have a bilge pump and doesn't leave it on a mooring. You say 'this is my set up' in the same way as when someone posts which RIB most people say buy what I have...
Old 06 September 2015, 20:50   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Yeh but guys. This guy doesn't have a bilge pump and doesn't leave it on a mooring. You say 'this is my set up' in the same way as when someone posts which RIB most people say buy what I have...

Ok he doesn't say much about his rib or where or what he's doing with it. So we are all trying to cover the main aspects of battery and the draws there of. Ok!!

Old 06 September 2015, 21:14   #35

Quote:
I'd agree with that by the time the guy gets all the 'extra' equipment that's been recommended he won't have anything left to fill the tank.
& will need a bigger boat to carry it all! He's new to boating & probably like most is on a steep learning curve so probably better to keep it simple to begin with then add the extras & redundancy later as he gets more confident & wants to go further afield
Only my opinion of course
Old 06 September 2015, 22:08   #36

Town: Shepherdswell
Boat name: MV Tosspot 2
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd agree with that by the time the guy gets all the 'extra' equipment that's been recommended he won't have anything left to fill the tank.
& will need a bigger boat to carry it all! He's new to boating & probably like most is on a steep learning curve so probably better to keep it simple to begin with then add the extras & redundancy later as he gets more confident & wants to go further afield
Only my opinion of course
Hit the the nail on the head
Nothing fancy on it, lights, gps, fishfinder, engine start is all I have.
Ribbed a lot before but first time owner
Won't be on a mooring either, doubt i'll use the electrics much without the engine running for too long either

Tags
rib