Old 31 July 2015, 01:18   #1

Town: Kitimat
Make: Titan
Length: 5m +
RHIB working on the BC/ Alaskan coast, need a map GPS, what would you choose?

RHIB working on the Alaskan coast, need a map GPS, what would you choose? Will ride exposed to the weather on the console, will be looking at the small screen sizes / 7" etc class. Biggest thing is decent maps not a lot of features, we're on the BC coast south of Ketchikan. Thanks for suggestions in advance! Would be lookin at the economy end of the spectrum.
Old 31 July 2015, 16:21   #2

Town: White Rock
Boat name: Cariboo
Make: Polaris
Engine: Outboard, Petro, 90
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
RHIB working on the Alaskan coast, need a map GPS, what would you choose? Will ride exposed to the weather on the console, will be looking at the small screen sizes / 7" etc class. Biggest thing is decent maps not a lot of features, we're on the BC coast south of Ketchikan. Thanks for suggestions in advance! Would be lookin at the economy end of the spectrum.
I am using a Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 with the Navionics Plus Charts on an open console. ( See my profile and there will be pictures of how it is mounted.)

MY unit is the button model, not the touch screen model. Do not purchase a touch screen unit on an open console as they will not work well or at all when the screen gets wet. Also when the boat is jostling around it it easier to navigate the screen with the buttons than the touch.

The unit I have is Radar ready which will be installed when I get my Radar Arch fabricated.

Have been using this unit continuously for a year now , throughout the winter and now in the summer, screen is very readable in all light conditions and buttons work in all weather conditions. Would not leave port without it.

The Sonar and Fishfinder feature works flawless and is very powerful, it is Structure Scan ready also which supposedly provides extremely detailed and multi-dimensional viewing of what is underwater... including the fish.
Old 31 July 2015, 16:24   #3

Town: White Rock
Boat name: Cariboo
Make: Polaris
Engine: Outboard, Petro, 90
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1300 View Post
I am using a Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 with the Navionics Plus Charts on a open console. ( See my profile and there will be pictures of how it is mounted.)

MY unit is the button model, not the touch screen model. Do not purchase a touch screen unit on an open console as they will not work well or at all when the screen gets wet. Also when the boat is jostling around it it easier to navigate with the buttons than the touch.

The unit I have is Radar ready which will be installed when I get my Radar Arch fabricated.

Have been using this unit for about a year now all year in winter and now in the summer, screen is very readable in all light conditions and buttons work in all weather conditions. Would not leave port without it.
Navionics maps are excellent, you will not be disappointed, 1 year upgrade included.
Old 31 July 2015, 17:05   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Rough water or not? For rough water, a bigger screen is easier to see at a glance. Larger, widely spaced buttons help as well.

You should also try out the various menu functions. Lowrance, for instance, did users a disservice by burying the waypoint goto function several menu clicks down.

More popular units are Lowrance, Garmin, Raymarine, Standard Horizon; for the working crowd you can add Furuno, Simrad, and JRC. I'd suggest finding a showroom and try the various units out.

jky
Old 03 August 2015, 03:58   #5

Town: Kitimat
Make: Titan
Fair points and appreciated input from both of you, I think the be all and end all as the last post suggested is I need to get to a showroom- not that that's easy most of the time unfortunately. Rough water does happen for sure and fair point.