Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Replacing regulator

Hi

Having spent the lady couple of hours going over the charging on my rib - yamaha 40hp

I have concluded that the regulator is duff. It's putting out 14.5 vots at the battery on tick over rising to 17.4 volts at 3/4 revs does not go higher at full.

On the asumption that regulator is not doing what it should would you guys change it for a very expensive yamaha regulator or an external dc to dc regulator from say, maplins.

I know morally I should replace the engine Reg but frankly I can't afford it at the moment. Will it kill anything else in the outboard if not changed.

Glenn
Old 27 June 2010, 13:39   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn collins View Post
Hi

Having spent the lady couple of hours going over the charging on my rib - yamaha 40hp

I have concluded that the regulator is duff. It's putting out 14.5 vots at the battery on tick over rising to 17.4 volts at 3/4 revs does not go higher at full.

On the asumption that regulator is not doing what it should would you guys change it for a very expensive yamaha regulator or an external dc to dc regulator from say, maplins.

I know morally I should replace the engine Reg but frankly I can't afford it at the moment. Will it kill anything else in the outboard if not changed.

Glenn
It's regulator/rectifier unit, not just a reg. It'll boil your battery and fry your electronics if not changed.

I'd ring Electrex (google them) and see what they can do for you as a motorcycle one will do the job just as well. Around £63 inc postage for a brand new unit. The RR60 unit should do it. The 2 yellows to the 'lighting' coil, red to battery, black to earth.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote