Old 30 January 2009, 18:27   #81

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Hey Martin

Hope your well.
This phone looks really good, I do have the JCB one and have to say I love it and works really well.

On your ad on your site its says waterproof, is that your wording or theirs?
I thought it had a low IP rating thus only splashproof?

Cheers

Hi John, aye very good thank you.

The waterproof wording is wrong in the strict sense and I will change it, thanks for highlighting it.

The phone has an immersion guarantee, which in my book means it is waterproof; but no it is not yet deemed waterproof.
Old 30 January 2009, 18:31   #82

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Martin,

No worries I just know what kinda trouble it can cause you!!

Cheers
Old 31 January 2009, 07:36   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Martin,

No worries I just know what kinda trouble it can cause you!!

Cheers
I appreciate it.

The durability report has the word waterproof in it, but to be safe I will trim the usage.
Old 14 February 2009, 15:42   #84

Phone delivery update...

Thanks to everyone who did go ahead and order one of these phones. And thanks for everyone's patience. Sadly we are continuing to experience delivery problems... We had hoped the phones would be sent out directly by Durrocomm, but this has not turned out to be practical. Then they were being sent to us for re-sending, this was thrown into disarray by the weather. However the weather has cleared and the deliveries have all been caught up on - but still no phones!

All of this is compounded because not nearly all those who said they wanted one ordered one, so the deal was just not possible in the guise we all hoped.

Everyone who has ordered one at the price discussed on here will get one, your money now rests with Durrocomm who are not being very communicative at all sadly. The 150 quid price has turned out to be a loss leader, one that we are happy to carry in the spirit of RIB.net!

Thanks again for the interest and for your patience.
Old 14 February 2009, 15:58   #85
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
but still no phones!

Everyone who has ordered one at the price discussed on here will get one, your money now rests with Durrocomm who are not being very communicative at all sadly. The 150 quid price has turned out to be a loss leader, one that we are happy to carry in the spirit of RIB.net!

Thanks again for the interest and for your patience.
Martin , thanks for this update and e mail. I have the MD's tel number for REEDS is he worth a call and e mail from a very unsatisfied customer(not with you Martin). Perhaps he needs a shot of reality in a world market that we are told is shrinking.
Old 14 February 2009, 16:03   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Martin , thanks for this update and e mail. I have the MD's tel number for REEDS is he worth a call and e mail from a very unsatisfied customer(not with you Martin). Perhaps he needs a shot of reality in a world market that we are told is shrinking.
Unfortunately we could not get the deal to work with Reeds because of the lack of confirmed orders, so the phones are coming direct from Durrocomm.

Reeds have been very helpful and enabled us to offer their online subscription at a reduced price.
Old 17 February 2009, 11:14   #87

Phones en route!

Hi again!

It turns out that the phones were accidentally sent on a 7 day delivery rather than 24 hour, non the less we got them in this morning.

They have now all gone out according to the delivery method requested.

Once again sorry for the delay.
Martin
Old 17 February 2009, 22:09   #88

Town: Glasgow
I've just seen this:-
http://www.reedsonline.com/almanac/show-message.php

Is this the extra service that was to be part of the phone deal?

Just when you think it's safe...
Old 18 February 2009, 14:52   #89

Town: Whiteley
Yes thats correct. Unfortunatly they have gone into administration,
Old 18 February 2009, 15:22   #90
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
"Reeds Nautical Online Almanac Ltd regret that owing to the worsening economic conditions we are unable to continue trading.

We sincerely apologise to all those who have purchased the product over the past few months as we will be unable to continue to deliver the online edition of the Almanac.

Please direct any enquiries to support@reedsnauticalgroup.com"

Ouch!
Old 18 February 2009, 17:52   #91

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Reeds Online, Update

I talked with them this afternoon. I have already subscribed to Reeds Online. Whilst the company is in the hands of the receiver, they are hoiping to be able to offer access to the information for the year, as subscribed.

This may be to a service which is not updated, which, if we are all honest, is how we use the paper version, unless there are serious pedants out there!

It is really annoying, but I would have to say that the person I spoke to was really helpful and hopeful that a solution could be found. After all, he probably was working for the love of the business and not being paid.

I fear this is the start of a whole load of issues we hadn't anticipated!

Who next??

Let's hope that there are no manufacturers who go bust becasue, "there goes the warranty".
Old 18 February 2009, 19:19   #92

This is really bewildering!

Surely Reeds have to amass the info anyway, what is the cost of offering it online?

The fact that they set up a separate Ltd Co to handle the online subs makes it look a bit like they were only dabbling anyway, which is odd given their place in the market.

As for the impact on the phone, yes the original deal did include the Reeds bundle but in order to get the best possible price to single buyers (the group buy thing never happened) the Reeds element had to be dropped. So the phone is unaffected.
Old 18 February 2009, 21:36   #93

Town: Glasgow
I don't think Reeds have covered themselves with glory on this. I've had a look at the YBW forum and there are a lot of rather upset people on there too. I can't see anyone who has had their fingers burnt on the online offer to rush to buy the paper version in the future.
Old 21 February 2009, 06:36   #94

I am happy to say that the first phones are now safely in their new owner's hands!

Hopefully we will get a couple of reports after the weekend...
Old 24 February 2009, 16:12   #95
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
I am happy to say that the first phones are now safely in their new owner's hands!

Hopefully we will get a couple of reports after the weekend...
As Martin said the phones arrived and I have been testing one. First impressions are a good solid phone with an excellent colour screen, probably the best screen I have had on any of my mobiles. The buttons are large enough to access and use when cold hands would make it difficult on my old Nokia. Setting the phone up took a little while as non standard from normal Nokias etc. When you access the menu screen it is very clear. It has a selection of phone ring tones and songs available , some are great others sound tinny. Torch access and laser pointer(bloody good distance in the dark!!) easy use on the side of the phone even when cold. The waterproofing seems Ok but dont intend to duck it yet I will wait for my next fall from grace!! The phone handset came with a single lead to connect to mains charger or a USB or the hand winder, all are great. The same covered port for the ear phones is used which could be a problem on the water as it would leave the port unprotected so a hands free would be an advantage.
I would like to have seen a small lanyard with it as I have now put one on and I can connect a waterbuoy to it to save it from the depths if I loose it. The battery life and indicator seems to go for ever as one charge and loads of use so far it has only just registered as used. The battery cover is solid and 2 screw turns to ensure watertight.. No camera on it but I dont use a camera phone I carry a waterproof olympus It would be nice to have more screen savers as those 7 on the phone a bit naff but guess you could go on line to get more, not sure if WAP enabled as I am a bit of a techno turd so will keep playing.
Initially great unit does what it says and more with compass(not sure how accurate yet), barometer, altimeter!!(FOR THOSE MAD MOMENTS) and temp. It will be interesting to see others thoughts and I will keep updating with faults or no faults. Yes very happy so far.
Old 28 February 2009, 07:30   #96

Thanks for the early report Ian. The phones do look like they are up to the job, unfortunately for us getting them to the handful of RIB.netters that did order one has proved a bit of a trial:

Because about 20 people said they would like to buy John was able to do a deal with Reeds Online. But as RIB.net is not VAT registered some people said they would not be able to buy as it was a business purchase, so I offered to help.

Even so not nearly as many people bought as said they would, meaning that we sold these phones at a loss. Subsequently Reeds Online went bust, the phone distributor refused to deliver direct to you guys and then they delivered late to us and over charged us for carriage into the bargain.

All in all we are going to stop selling them, not because the phones are at fault - they look to be spot on - but because the companies associated with them are way too flakey.

We engaged two new suppliers, both of whom now owe us money, just to get these phones out to you guys. It has taken about a month to do so, so there is time and money that we will never see again.
Old 28 February 2009, 09:52   #97

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
.....Even so not nearly as many people bought as said they would, meaning that we sold these phones at a loss. ..
You should name the ones who said they would but didn't. They deserve a slap. At least, give em a red face.
Old 28 February 2009, 10:14   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You should name the ones who said they would but didn't. They deserve a slap. At least, give em a red face.
It is just human nature though, plus the deal could not be pinned down.

The only way to get real commitment is to take a payment, which is what happened.
Old 28 February 2009, 12:41   #99

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I was one who was interested , but as no price was actually posted it was always going to be price dependant. In real terms I was thinking £150 at the boat show - a load 15+ should take that down a bit , but it never seemed to happen. Price seemed to be the same as if I purchased direct & the posts seemed to indicate that the distributor was looking for as much profit as possible.

That put me off.

Sincere apologies if this caused grief for anyone especailly Malthouse - clealry no fault of his.
Old 28 February 2009, 12:59   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Price seemed to be the same as if I purchased direct & the posts seemed to indicate that the distributor was looking for as much profit as possible.
Cheers for that.

Reeds were clearly in trouble but keeping it quiet at the boat show, they simply did not have the margins to back up their promises.

Condurro played the old "exchange rate" card, even though they reckoned to have a stock of 500 already on hand - they simply put the cost price up and so the magical 149.00 was a loss maker from our point of view.

It is a real shame because the phone is good!

Things are being made worse because a couple of phones have been held back by the Post Office as they are not sure of the duty paid status, so they want the recipients to pay the VAT again and use the receipt to claim it back once they have the phone.

Sadly for us one of the forumites is demanding a refund because we have not tried hard enough.