Old 16 November 2008, 08:12   #1

Town: Fareham
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175Hp
Raymarine VHF

Hi,
Looking to fit the boat out with all the electronic kit and came across the Raymarine 54E VHF radio, Iíve always been under the impression Raymarine make the top notch kit (not 100% sure why) but I was just wondering how it compares to other radio around the same price bracket, e.g. Strandard Horizon and icom?
Also im uming and aring over fitting a CD player - main worry is spending a lot of dosh and only hearing the music at tick over speed. How much would i have to spend to be able to hear the music at 15knots?

Cheers

Matt

Old 16 November 2008, 10:06   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Make: Seariders mainly
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrudes, Yam 2stks
I'm afraid I'm not a raymarine fan, simply for it's construction in comparison to other makes. One of the centres I worked at used a raymarine as it's base station (in fact, it could well have been a 54E!) and it was dead within a season. Bought a pair last season for our ski boats, one of them still goes (ish) but the other is knackered too. Having said that, it looks like it's been superceded by the 55E - which I haven't used!

I personally would go with something along the lines of the Icom M421 - having put one of these on one of my old work's ribs. Well built (surving even commercial centre rigours!), fairly small, lots of features, can't go wrong

Obviously, yours won't be getting the same abuse as that recieved at a commercial centre. The raymarines are about the same prices as Icoms, you've just got to hunt around for deals. The Raymarine's coming in at £169 from chandlery.biz, and the Icom from Sail GB at £169.95 (both first google results ). Go into a marine electronics shop and have a look at them both before you commit though.

/end ramblings

I'm sure someone more qualified can answer your audio questions!

RYA Mincing Instructor :)
towersje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2008, 10:38   #3

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: Merc. 150 Outboard
MMSI: Lucederterv...?
Hi Matt,
But Icom, we've recently had our VHF replaced with a Raymarine and its had a lot of trouble, with saltwater in the screen and the handset breaking. Icom from experience of their handheld VHFs are reliable and very well made.

As for CD players, the speakers you are looking at should be 6-7" and Fusion are near the standard of Sony but a lot cheaper.

At Yachtmail in Lymington we sell the FM/AM Radio/CD Player unit for £99.99, by Fusion, and its a fully shock proof and waterproof piece of kit, and we have plenty in stock. On the speaker front we only have the 5" and 6.5" Seasound (budget speakers) in stock, and the Fusion 6" may take a few weeks to come in, but they'll be in the region on £60-70 when we get them in, so all in £159.99 for a radio and 2 speakers.

As for hearing it at 15 knots, yes you will, but then so will the rest of the Solent...

Hope this helps,

Josh
Old 16 November 2008, 12:16   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My Raymarine 54e is fine - and it's been exposed to about 10yrs worth of rain during the last 3 yrs!!!
Old 16 November 2008, 13:13   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Cheesee is fitted with Standard Horizon VHF, then we have Autocom intercom between the Gecko helmets plus also connected to Standard Vertex HX 370 (so we have up to 3 VHF radios)

Bogi
Old 16 November 2008, 21:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My Raymarine 54e is fine - and it's been exposed to about 10yrs worth of rain during the last 3 yrs!!!
Hah! That's a lot of rain - howdya manage that? To be fair, one of our ancient icoms (the base model of the previous range of fixed VHFs) now needs a pair of pliers to turn it on after someone whipped the knob!

I will say I've heard some good things about Standard kit. Anyone fancy demoing me some kit to convert me?
Old 17 November 2008, 05:31   #7

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Quote:
Originally Posted by towersje View Post
Hah! That's a lot of rain - howdya manage that? To be fair, one i will say I've heard some good things about Standard kit. Anyone fancy demoing me some kit to convert me?
blue v at port Edgar have standard kit setup in their shop

I also have the SH CP300 plotter that your welcome to view

I
Old 17 November 2008, 09:45   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by towersje View Post
Hah! That's a lot of rain - howdya manage that? To be fair, one of our ancient icoms (the base model of the previous range of fixed VHFs) now needs a pair of pliers to turn it on after someone whipped the knob!

I will say I've heard some good things about Standard kit. Anyone fancy demoing me some kit to convert me?
Well basically my boat is 3 years old - we get over 3x the normal yearly rainfall compared to 2000 - so 3x 3.3 almost equals 10!!!
Old 17 November 2008, 11:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
blue v at port Edgar have standard kit setup in their shop

I also have the SH CP300 plotter that your welcome to view

I

Tempted to drop in, new handheld needed soon! The HX750 looks good, get it with the fistmic too (which looks scarily like an icom one) - old habits die hard!

Thanks for offering a viewing on the plotter, may take you up on that at some point!
Old 18 November 2008, 10:45   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I'm still trying with Raymarine - mainly because the hole in the console was cut to fit one. The first one was great, until the volume control started to get bad contacts so unless I reduced the squelch I couldn't tell whether the speaker was working. Got a new one on guarantee. That worked ok but wouldn't read the position from the GPS (Garmin 126). Fitted a Garmin 550 plotter, radio still won't read position.

Rang Raymarine and explained. I'd done all the right things connecting and setting up. 'You must just be unlucky', he said.

It's back with the local chandlers now. They'll be fed up of giving me free ones. I'll persevere with the next one, but if there's anything wrong with that I'll switch to Icom. To be fair, David at the chandlery said I was the only one having any trouble with the 54E. They've got one last chance.