Old 28 May 2016, 11:56   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Raymarine Seatalk failure?

Admittedly on my sailing boat rather than the RIB, but I thought worth asking the experts here!

We have 3 ST60+ instruments chained together via old fashioned Seatalk 1. Power comes into the Graphic display down below along with a GPS NMEA0183 feed, and then connected via Seatalk to the Tridata (master display with speed/depth transducer input) and the Wind display (with anemometer input) at the helm.

The Graphic display blew a PCB which Raymarine UK serviced and replaced last week. However, having now reinstalled it, whilst all the displays start up and work individually, they no longer can read data from each other over Seatalk. E.g. The Graphic display can't see Wind/depth info, and the Tridata display can't see the GPS info that is bridged in via the Graphic displays's NMEA input.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing before? I was assuming Seatalk is Seatalk, which is actually just NMEA0183, and even if the service centre has updated the Graphic software version with the PCB replacement, they should still all talk to each other?!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 28 May 2016, 20:20   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
All sorted, well, kind of...

Seatalk voltage seemed a bit weird, so I started unplugging each instrument one by one to see if there was a bad talker. Turns out someone had connected it to the old backup autopilot as well, which wasn't supposed to be done... Clearly it no longer likes being connected to that for some reason, the autopilot is putting something onto the Seatalk wire that the upgraded ST60+ Graphic can't handle, or the output from the autopilot is just knackered and corrupting the network given the strange voltage I see. Thankfully I don't need Seatalk data on the old autopilot, so I just unplugged it and the rest of the data started flowing between instruments!