Click Here to Login

Old 12 May 2005, 19:57   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Raymarine or Navman big decision time

At last my rib is back on track - have to decide on electronic fit.

Was going to get a Garmin 172c or similar - until I saw just how small they really are!!!

Basically 2 choices - either order a Navman 6600 from the USA for about £880 or get a Raymarine C80 from the UK for £1600 all in - ie with GPS - Fishfinder module and a seperate Navman 3000 fuel computer.

In the UK the Navman costs about £1400 which is a scandal but hardly any diff at all on Raymarine. I know raymarine are far better but it will basically cost me double for the Raymarine kit.

Of course if I do go down the Raymarine route would be silly not to buy a Radome.......

HELP!!!!
Old 12 May 2005, 20:23   #2

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I have a C120 with all the bells and whistles, I much prefer it to my old navman kit.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2005, 20:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
I have a C120 with all the bells and whistles, I much prefer it to my old navman kit.
Yes - money no object I wouldn't hesitate but cashflow bit tight at moment!!! Typical of me - all or nothing!!!

To get a setup that does what I want involves me getting just one unit in the Navman - or getting a complex setup to do the same - if only Raymarine did a fuel transducer as well.

Also of course the Navman uses the new C map MAX whilst the Raymarine uses Nav gold - which is better???
Old 12 May 2005, 20:43   #4

Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
I've the 6600 and am very pleased with it (waiting for max card upgrade)

got it from steve the boat on here, who i'm sure would cut a deal.

didnt go for the raymarine as there is no easy way to play and plan on a PC. and fuel computer also

paul
Old 12 May 2005, 21:16   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Raymarine or Navman?

There's no comparrison - friend has a C120 on his RIB interfaced to radar and it's a lovely bit of kit. And there are good deals to be had on the old RL70 and RL80 - these are great kit - I've used them both on other RIBs and they do a superb job. Look at www.mesltd.co.uk

I'm surprised you haven't compared Raymarine with Garmin. The 2010 is a very, very impressive bit of kit, and there's a new version with is radar-ready. That's what I would fit on Blue Ice if I wasn't spending on other stuff. Have a look at VIT Electronics www.vitelectronics.com (that's the place that Gavin and Tim recommend) and click on the button that reveals their discounted price - massive saving.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2005, 21:21   #6

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
I too have a 6600, they are £1149 delivered from JG Tech, very helpful guy too. The Max upgarde will be available very soon, so the bods in New Zealand are telling Plastimo. As for the Max cartography, it is very nice, coverage just as good with the Mega Wides as the Navionics XL3s. I think the Navman gives a much more intuative interface, I have not needed to look at the manual to work out any aspects of the unit, I have read it but it all seems obvious when using the menus. The fuel computer is a top feature costing £65 more.

If you get the Navman from the US there will be VAT and duty and shipping, if you can claim back the VAT then the UK price is not bad at
£970 delivered next day. As for service the guys at Plastimo will swap the unit in case of any problems. Mine is totally waterproof, no condensation through winter.

Hope that helps.
Old 12 May 2005, 21:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
6600, they are £1149 delivered from JG Tech
£1149 sounds a bit expensive for a 7" display
Old 12 May 2005, 22:05   #8

Engine: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
The Max upgarde will be available very soon,

The fuel computer is a top feature costing £65 more.

Hope that helps.
They rekon it will be out on Friday - so says Paul the plastimo tech bod. Have had great fun in the last few days playing with the max cards on the PC-Planner software. Far superior to navionics and garmin charts , which I have also

yah love the fuel computer - frightening to see the liquid gold sucked down when ya bang the hammer fully open.

theres also a full engine dignostic display if you hook it up to a mercury engine. No good to me as I have an etec.

one last thing having a hi res portrait display is I think better than a landscape display. After all its better to know whats in front than way off to the side. AIMHO.

ya pays ya money etc etc

Paul
Old 13 May 2005, 00:03   #9

Thanks for your help everyone - Cactus quoted me £1415 for the navman - really steep!!!

Yes Garmin make some very good kit but at that sort of price point I would far rather Raymarine - they have been at Radar far longer!!!

Navman does all I want with nice big screen at good price but will only buy it from abroad so may be warrenty probs - if buying Raymarine will stick with UK as they made here so no real savings to be made overseas!!!

Have just downloaded the product manuals from both websites!!!

Never normally so indecisive but this driving me nuts - if i get the Raymarine just GOT to have RADAR and a way of mounting it etc etc.

At the end of the day the final answer may have to lie with security - although my boat will be safe kit does sometimes go missing from other boats there so will have to remove equipment each time - much easier with an all in one like the Navman I suppose - unless you lot know different???
Old 13 May 2005, 04:50   #10

Town: London
Boat name: event horizon
Make: Custom
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard
Raymarine

If you can afford the C120 get it. Its superb
Old 13 May 2005, 06:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
At last my rib is back on track
Does that mean delivery this month?
Old 13 May 2005, 10:09   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
... much easier with an all in one like the Navman I suppose
If it fails, everything has gone. Not for me, that.

Garmin dead easy to use, but there are some issues with the completeness of the cartography. Maybe it's better at V.7, mine's V.4.09 but I've got to pay 80 quid to find out.

My Raymarine is a mess to use and the software has some quirks too.

If you are using track-up display, then I agree with paul that a portrait format is better.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Raymarine or Navman?

There's no comparrison - friend has a C120 on his RIB interfaced to radar and it's a lovely bit of kit. And there are good deals to be had on the old RL70 and RL80 - these are great kit - I've used them both on other RIBs and they do a superb job. Look at www.mesltd.co.uk

I'm surprised you haven't compared Raymarine with Garmin. The 2010 is a very, very impressive bit of kit, and there's a new version with is radar-ready. That's what I would fit on Blue Ice if I wasn't spending on other stuff. Have a look at VIT Electronics www.vitelectronics.com (that's the place that Gavin and Tim recommend) and click on the button that reveals their discounted price - massive saving.
Just been having another look at the Garmin stuff now I am awake!!! Considering it is a US company and the dollar is so weak I thought it would be a bit cheaper........

GMR20 Radome alone is $1538 = £860
Raymarine version is £597 ex vat

3010 plotter $2000 approx = £1077
Raymarine c80 £873 ex vat
Raymarine c120 £1250 ex vat approx

As the prices are so similar I really wouldn't hesitate to choose the Raymarine over Garmin - I DO like Garmin kit but Raymarine is the business from what most people say.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Does that mean delivery this month?
I wish!!! Will prob take about 6 weeks or so to finish off - install electronics etc etc - shame I will have missed part of our summer - it is short enough as it is!!!
Old 13 May 2005, 12:32   #15

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Raymarine or Navman?

I’d go for the most expensive because if you are going to dream you might as well make it perfect
Have you worked out how to upload files yet Des
Old 13 May 2005, 12:36   #16

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I’d go for the most expensive because if you are going to dream you might as well make it perfect
Have you worked out how to upload files yet Des
Old 13 May 2005, 13:47   #17

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I had the same conundrum last year. Couldn't decide between the Navman 6600 or the Garmin 2006C. In the end I went for the Garmin with a separate Navman fuel meter. Main reason for choosing Garmin was that I already had a handheld with the chart software so I could load the same charts and all my routes and waypoints with ease. Personally I prefered the Garmin software over the Navman and the screen was a better spec IIRC. The Navman seemed to have too few buttons doing too many things for my liking. The 'soft key' buttons on the Garmin are invaluable. Saves having to go through menu options to change page specific features.

Keith
Old 14 May 2005, 04:43   #18

Town: London
Boat name: event horizon
Make: Custom
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard
Raymarine

Go for the C120 you will never look back . Imagine having a rib with out air in the tubes then this would be a good comparison with other makes and models and no I do not work for Raymarine before you ask.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REKRAP
Go for the C120 you will never look back . Imagine having a rib with out air in the tubes then this would be a good comparison with other makes and models and no I do not work for Raymarine before you ask.
Think I WILL go for Raymarine - not the c120 though - will have to be the c80 but will do the same job!!!

Just been reading a good review of MARPA sets - the Raymarine was easily the winner - but then you have to add a fluxgate compass as well as a radome - another £600 - eek!!!
Old 14 May 2005, 13:13   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
MARPA works on the C80 without a fluxgate.
Promise.