Old 09 February 2005, 10:22   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Raymarine best radar

Just read a test in the latest Yachting Monthly on radar sets.

Out of 8 sets tested Raymarine came 1st 2nd and 3rd - not bad for a British company!!!!

The RL70C was top followed by the SL72 "best buy" and then the C70. The JRC 1000mk2 got the best budget buy but it's scores were a lot lower than the cheapest Raymarine.

Would love to fit one of their products to my Rib but don't think A frame will be big enough.

One thing I would love to try though - some of the Raymarines have a video input - it would be fun to use a low light camera with an infra red spolight for night blasts!!!
Old 09 February 2005, 11:09   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codprawn
One thing I would love to try though - some of the Raymarines have a video input - it would be fun to use a low light camera with an infra red spolight for night blasts!!!
I know a hardboater who uses a day/night vision camera coupled to one of those tv/radio units. He bought them from www.maplin.co.uk and they were surprisingly cheap. The quality/range is impressive and the camera is reversible so it can be used as a rear-view mirror also. Just an idea.
Old 09 February 2005, 11:39   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
I know a hardboater who uses a day/night vision camera coupled to one of those tv/radio units. He bought them from www.maplin.co.uk and they were surprisingly cheap. The quality/range is impressive and the camera is reversible so it can be used as a rear-view mirror also. Just an idea.
I don't know about Maplin being cheap - I have a wireless camera system for use on R/C models - cost me £28 off ebay - EXACTLY the same in Maplin - £129.95!!!!

Having said that Palin sell a wider range of stuff and sometimes can be quite cheap - I bought a solar panel battery charger in a sale there for £50 that was over £100 anywhere else!
Old 09 February 2005, 11:45   #4

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Yep, just had a look, they certainly aren't cheap. I think he got in a sale/offer though.